Extra Reference Windows Spawned in Debug
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdolson

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  04:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is hard to reproduce, but I thought it should be put out there. At one point I had a number of Reference windows open when I was editing. I had to keep track of quite a few different things. I ran the debugger a few times with all those windows open and the debugger got stuck with them in there even when I closed them.

I was able to close the Reference windows when editing, but it would spawn 5 blank Reference windows whenever I started the debugger. If I tried to close the windows, the debugger would auto spawn more Reference windows so I would have between 7 and 10. It would do this whenever I got down to 4 open. I noticed a bunch of other windows flash on the screen when that happened, but they were gone before I could figure out what they were.

I saw this in both 2001 and 2007 and I'm using VS 2005.

I finally got them to go away by making the panel with the Reference windows float. It spawn 5 Reference windows in the old space and still had five on the now floating panel. I deleted the 5 spawned in the old space and that seemed to work OK. Then I tried deleting the ones on the floating panel and the entire panel disappeared with all the tabs at once.

When this happened all my watches got reset too. I respawned the native VS windows that were lost when the panel went poof and redocked them where they were. So far it hasn't respawned any empty Reference windows, but that was only a few minutes ago.

As I said above, reproducing this one will be tough. I don't know how it all started. I just noticed they were there when debugging after closing them in edit mode.

Bill

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2013 :  2:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you remember ever seeing this before? I don't remember ever hearing of a problem like this before.

It is interesting you have seen this with two different versions of VA, since that proves that this problem is at least slightly reproducible, and was not a one off event.

If you see this again, can you please grab a couple of mini dump's of the IDE while this is happening? Hopefully seeing the IDE state like this will offer some clues. Screen shots of the IDE when you grab the mini dumps would also help if possible, so we know what is going on. This FAQ entry explains how to grab the mini dumps and send them to us:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000