Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Searching for references is blocking user input.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Predelnik

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  09:27:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During such kinds of refactoring as "rename" or "change signature" while program searches for references input is blocked which gives a slight discomfort and user have to wait for typing what he wants to do, while I believe there's obviously no harm in letting him input what he wants and apply it when searching is finished.

I guess on most of the projects this is not a problem at all since searching takes literally no time, but in really huge projects it matters.

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  10:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am able to type in the edit field while the dialog searches for references. Are you not able to type while the search is active? The checkboxes are disabled while the search is active, but not the edit field.
Go to Top of Page

Predelnik

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  1:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly it doesn't look like it's happening on every project, maybe really large codebase needed. Not sure that I can produce it with some trivial example.
And actually it doesn't look like blocking of input, more like it's just a huge lag of it, since it's not becoming gray.
Anyway I've made a gif (blurred out code because of NDA and stuff :D ), I'm pressing Alt+Shift+R and starting to press keys 1 and 2 as fast as I could:
http://i.imgur.com/AcOhnX1.gif

Edited by - Predelnik on Nov 20 2013 1:34:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2013 :  1:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the animation. The UI thread is probably being choked off by the search threads. You might consider trying a reduced MaxConcurrency as described here:
http://docs.wholetomato.com?W134
Try setting it to the number of your system logical cores - 1.
Go to Top of Page

Predelnik

Russia
37 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2013 :  02:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, this actually helps but not very much, I have 8 logical cores (4 - physical and 4 - hyperthread), if I put MaxConcurrency to 7 actually it doesn't change that behaviour that much, if I put it to 1-3 it surely helps but searching becomes slower.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000