New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  4:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've mentioned before that every so often a bunch of weird characters overwrite the current display line for 15 to 25 seconds, and then it reverts back to normal.

It happened twice today and I managed to capture it the second time. See attached.

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2013 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Which font are you using for the editor? Its possible this is related to the font you have selected, so it might be worth changing to a different font for a few days, if that's not to disruptive, to see if that makes any difference.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2013 :  10:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The previous data I sent you was from my other virtual machine. The virtual machine that had that issue was running 2001. I will post its information later. It was also using the Consolas font.

Edited by - foxmuldr on Oct 26 2013 3:56:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen similar problems before, and there were bug reports of this happening with the Consolas font, especially when you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Stable symbols in Italic

turned On, but these were all listed as fixed years ago, and I don't think I have seen this come up since.

Can you try turning Off both:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Local symbols in Bold
VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Stable symbols in Italic

and see if this makes any difference? If this helps, can you just turn off one at a time, to try and narrow down the trigger?

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  11:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not forgotten you. :-) I have not been back on that machine yet. My recent development has been on another machine where I am using the Ubuntu Mono 12pt font. I have not seen the issue one time there.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2013 :  1:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realise these things often take time, especially if they are machine specific, or only occur occasionally.

In a modern version of VA you should not have this problem with the Consolas font, but I do recall a group of bug reports, a few years ago, about problems with specific fonts. So if you have a corrupt, or custom / edited version of the Consolas font on the machine where this problem happens, that might be a factor.

Of course, it might have nothing to do with the font at all, but its somewhere to start.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay ... this is happening now on my other machine (Win7 64-bit) and it's different on that machine. I am still using the Ubuntu mono font, and from time to time for seemingly unknown reasons, when I use the keyboard arrows to move past the function definition header as in normal moving down through the file (I believe it only happens when going down into the function body from the definition line), the definition line goes completely white for about 10 seconds.

:-) Next time it happens I'll do a screenshot. This has happened twice now in two days of heavy development.
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2013 :  7:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It happened again, but this time on a line that wasn't the header. I managed to capture it when it was all white, and then after it came back:

And yes, I fixed the error in my formula. :-)

Edited by - foxmuldr on Dec 07 2013 7:31:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2013 :  5:59:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and version of VA are you using on these two machines? Going white almost looks like a different problem to the characters being replaced with random characters, but they both may have the same root cause.

Do you have any other IDE extensions installed? In your first screen shot you have got some red and green toolbar button's I don't recognise, so I am wondering if they are coming from another extension, or if I just don't recognise them.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  03:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using Visual Studio 2008 and VAX 2001. I have only default Visual Studio software installed, except with VAX added. I also had to disable something related to XML parsing due to an error some users have reported with recent versions of VAX. I don't remember the message, but I did report on it here. If I find that thread I'll update this message.

UPDATE: It is this thread: http://wholetomatoforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11586

As for the buttons, I went in manually and edited their images to be that way using the horrid Visual Studio edit-button tool. :-) Green means BUILD. Red means REBUILD. Small means CURRENT PROJECT only. Large means ALL PROJECTS in the solution.

Edited by - foxmuldr on Dec 10 2013 04:19:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  03:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA_X.dll file version 10.8.2001.0 built 2013.09.20
Licensed to:
VA X: .. (1-user license) Support ends 2014.10.15
DevEnv.exe version 9.0.30729.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 9.0.30729.4462
Font: Ubuntu Mono 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.7601.17514
Windows 7 6.1 Build 7601 Service Pack 1
4 processors (x86-64;
WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\include;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0A\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\VC\\crt\\src;

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  7:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That explains the icons, which is good to know.

Is your second machine also a virtual machine, or is this a direct install of Windows? It's a different display problem, but similar enough to suggest a common cause.

Approximately how often are you seeing these problems? Several times a day? Every couple of days? Once or twice a month?

If the problems are common enough I am wondering if changing your IDE font was an option, since if this fixes the problem then that would be an interesting result.

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  05:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is a native machine. A Dell (Ugh!) Latitude E6530 laptop. Core i7-3520M @ 2.90 GHz, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, 4 GB memory. I haven't used my virtual machine as much recently, but when I have used it I have not seen the issue at all.

It is infrequent. I haven't figured out any particular set of variables which make it happen. It's not like when I have two instance of VS2008 running, or am paused in one and not paused in the other, or anything like that. It just seems to happen from time to time while I'm in the middle of editing, and usually when I'm focused on coding some algorithm and am navigating throughout the file quickly.

I didn't see it at all yesterday, even though I was 8+ hours of solid development. I typically don't see it every day. However, the other day when I posted the message I saw it twice in one day. Both of those times it was the white line, and not the repeated random character.

I would be willing to switch to VS2010 for a while to see if it goes away. It's not a big enough thorn so far to cause an issue. :-)

Is there anything you can add to a version of VAX, such as a key combination that I can press, so that when I see it I can press that key combination, and then once it restores I can press that key combination again, and then you can compare the two files to see if any internal things are different? It could build a list of SHA-1 values for internal buffers or whatever you might think it could be, and store those to a text file each time the key was pressed. If, for example, it happened and I stopped typing, pressed the key, waited for it to return, then pressed the key again, those two snapshots might provide information about what internally is triggering the issue (assuming it's anything in VAX and not a legitimate VS2008 bug).
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  08:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It did it again just now. I was in the middle of editing and the line I was on went white. When it did, the cursor moved over to about 2/3 the distance from where it was and the left margin. It lasted about 8 seconds, and then it came back with the cursor restored to the normal location with all the text.
Go to Top of Page

SvenR
Tomato Guru

108 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  10:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen this effect (the text of the current line disappears for some seconds) in VS 2008 too. It occured especially while editing class function names and their parameters in .cpp files. All keystrokes are processed when the text disappeared but sometimes the result really was a surprise. ;)

Windows 10 x64, VS 2022, VAX 10.9.2502

Edited by - SvenR on Dec 11 2013 10:08:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2013 :  11:23:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sven, you've seen this in VS 2013?
Go to Top of Page

SvenR
Tomato Guru

108 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2013 :  04:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, fortunately not.

Windows 10 x64, VS 2022, VAX 10.9.2502
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update. This has not happened in several days of heavy development with 2007.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  9:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, it might just be luck, or its possible that VA 2007 has made a useful change to this behaviour. Time will tell.

If you need to save out the current IDE state, since it is doing something strange, then turning on VA logging is an option, or you can save out a mini dump of the current state:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303

Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
384 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  07:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last several days have been heavy development. It's been blank-line / weird-character free. Still using Ubuntu font too (I highly recommend it :-)).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  6:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am starting to be hopeful that whatever is causing this problem, it has been fixed in VA 2007. Obviously please let us know if you see this problem start up again.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000