Technical Support
 Interaction between VS and VA settings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dave_lf

15 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  1:53:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't exactly a bug report, as it turns out, but more of a request for clarification.

I use VS2012 Professional with update 3. After updating to VA 10.8.2001.0 today, I no longer had listboxes pop up after typing the opening "(" following a C++ function name (for both definitions and calls). I am absolutely positive this was working this morning before I installed the update.

After playing around for a while, I got things to start working again by enabling Visual Studio's show parameter information setting (Tools > Options > Text Editor > C/C++ > General > Parameter Information). But it seems that this was not necessary before 10.80.2001.0.

I've always been confused about how VA's intellisense-related settings interact with Visual Studio's (the documentation is a bit fuzzy). What I want is for VA to take complete ownership of intellisense--meaning it builds the database and it displays the popups using nothing but its own information. By the same token, I would like Visual Studio's built-in intellisense to be switched off completely--no database building and no popups. But apparently I still need to have some of Visual Studio's settings switched on ("Auto list members", "Parameter information") in order for VA to do its thing. Is that correct? Is there any document that spells this all out?

Thanks for any help you can provide. And thanks for a great product--I don't know if I would be able to continue developing C++ code in Visual Studio while remaining (somewhat) sane without it.

Edited by - dave_lf on Sep 30 2013 09:27:11 AM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2013 :  5:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The general logic here is that we want Visual Assist to be as transparent as it can be. Users get features from the IDE like listboxes, tooltips, etc. and they know how to control them. Visual Assist keeps them, and improves these when users use the features with intellisense enabled. When intellisense disabled, they are provided solely by VA, that is true, but we are still facing with the same features and the settings are editor setting and not intellisense settings.

Something like this is the logic and we're constantly changing toward it. But I see how it can be annoying sometimes, when you don't know what is happening and why.

Basicly, we want Visual Studio to behave similarly with or without VA, listboxes included. So you can use VA right away without any difficulty. If you have disabled parameter info, it will stay disabled after installing VA as well.

Unfortunately I don't know of a documentation about this and I'm not sure any concrete changes, but I tried disabling that option you mentioned and it disabled the param info tooltips for me as well. But since I keep every VS setting enabled I need, it didn't cause any problem for me.

Hopefully by knowing the general logic behind behind this will help you in the future as well: basically, just keep everything enabled in VS options dialog as if intellisense were enabled.

Does it make sense to you?

Edited by - accord on Sep 26 2013 5:19:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

dave_lf

15 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2013 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you; that does help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: