New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AdrianH
Ketchup Master

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  5:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was having crashing problems with IncrediBuild after the 2nd time to compile (or if I just waited long enough) loading the Solution. Not sure what was happening, but I was running VA X 10.7.1940.0 with IncrediBuild 4.62.1449 and disabling and uninstalling VA X didn't fix the problem.

I had to go to IncrediBuild's Agent Settings and in the Visual Studio Add-In -> General branch, I selected Visual Studio 2010 and pressed the Restore Add-In button. This fixed IncrediBuild's crashing.

Installing AV X, again caused IncrediBuild to crash. While AV X was installed, I did the Restore Add-In again and it fixed the crashing. So, it would seem that there is a problem is with AV X.

I'd say it smells like an newer DLL is being replaced by your software, but since this works once, I'd infer that it is probably some hook chain that is being corrupted.

Hope this is corrected and at least a workaround is available.

A

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2013 :  8:48:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this problem, obviously we try hard to make sure that VA never causes crashes.

All of VA's DLL's are installed to our install directory, so a hook chain is the more likely problem here.

This is a long shot, but do you have a second machine where you could reproduce this crash, without getting in the way of your main work? I was wondering if you could generate a mini dump or two of the crash if so. If this was possible, this FAQ entry explains saving out a mini dump:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W303

In the mean time I will try and reproduce this crash here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

AdrianH
Ketchup Master

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2013 :  09:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did do a debug on the crashed IDE once and it looked like it was a crash due to infinite recursion. When I get time I'll see about getting you a minidump.

A
Go to Top of Page

AdrianH
Ketchup Master

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2013 :  10:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hrm. The problems have resurfaced. I've tried to uninstall and do the Restore Add-In thing, but it hasn't helped this time. Grrr.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  7:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am guessing you have installed the Incredibuild Agent on this machine, is this correct?

So do you have the Coordinator installed on a different machine, or the same machine?

You mention going into the IncrediBuild Agent Settings, but not what you did there. Were you looking to stop Incredibuild using the network somehow?

Are you seeing any pattern to these crashes? Crashing on build, or just at random?

If you are seeing the crash on build, can you try closing the IDE, unplugging your network cable to remove your machine from the local network, and the internet, and see if you still get the crash on build? I am working on the theory that this is a quick, simple and reliable method of stopping Incredibuild doing any form of network building.

Does uninstalling Spaghetti make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2013 :  9:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A further thought, can you please Uninstall Visual Assist X, then if this stops the crashes install VA 1949:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

A change of version might just help, and using the latest version is worth a try.

Go to Top of Page

AdrianH
Ketchup Master

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  09:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found the solution. It is due to a bug in IncrediBuild and has nothing to do with your sw.

http://xoreax.helpserve.com/Tickets/Ticket/View/51109
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, this is good to know. I cannot see this bug report, even after registering, so do you know if there is a work around available, or a time scale for a fix? A crashing IDE is a very serious problem after all.

Go to Top of Page

AdrianH
Ketchup Master

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  3:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem was with Auto Hiding the IncrediBuild window (that pin in the top right corner of the window). When it was unpinned, it would do something and go off and crash.

They do have an internal build, but I do not know if they are releasing it to the general public as yet. I'm inquiring as to the next release and will keep you apprised.

As a workaround, just keep the window pinned (no auto hide) and it will not cause any problems.

A
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2013 :  5:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, and its good to know the solution here is so easy. You can always make a pinned open window very small, so it takes up the minimum amount of screen space when you are not working with it.

Hopefully they will be able to release a fix soon.

Go to Top of Page

AdrianH
Ketchup Master

Canada
71 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  08:39:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They say that their next release is probably about 3 months away.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18754 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2013 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ouch, I am glad there is a fairly simple work around at least.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000