Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Find References does not show all references.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cbsuh

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  05:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently setup new machine and installed Visual Assist X 1940 with VS2010 but, 'Refactor/Find References' does not show all references in our sources which was fine before.
1946 showed same behavior, so I reverted until 1925 and it works fine.
There are many projects and dependencies are quite complex but I can't understand the cause because 1925 works fine.
Is it related to VS2010 settings?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  10:23:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the missing references comments and strings? Are the missing references in a different project?

If you right click in the Find References Results window, does changing any of the settings here help?

If not, then any information you can provide to help me reproduce the problem would be helpful. Are you working in C++ or some other language?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

cbsuh

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  11:26:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out the reason. Thanks for your help.

1925, there is no 'Search all projects' option, so I thought it as default behavior.
But latest version has that option which is turned off by default and I only checked 'Visual Assist X Options' and cannot find the option.
How about adding it to options window?
Go to Top of Page

cbsuh

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  11:38:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also found about 'Search all projects' defaults

- new install 1940 : OFF
- new install 1925 / upgrade to 1940 : ON
- new install 1929 / upgrade to 1940 : OFF
Go to Top of Page

cbsuh

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2013 :  12:01:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another idea from my team member:

Provide 2 different 'Find References' menu like
- Find References
- Find All References
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  11:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the confusion this change has caused. Limiting Find References to the current project by default is done party to speed up Find References on larger solutions, and party to reduce problems caused by false matches, where the same symbol name is used in different projects, for different things, but VA thinks it is the same thing.

We are trying to keep our options dialog from over flowing with options, making it hard to find the option you want. But this does risk making some settings harder to find.

What would you expect the "Find References" command to do that is different to the "Find All References" command?

You can also tell Find References to search strings and comments, or to exclude them from the results, so combining this with projects, that is 4 possible combinations.

Go to Top of Page

cbsuh

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  02:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about others but in case of my team, we prefer 'Find References' find all projects since it worked well for our large solution - sometimes wrong but mostly worked fine.
But, you should not change installation defaults now, since it can cause more confusion to others - especially for new users after that change.

And 'Find References' is one of the most important features my team is using Visual Assist X, we think options about that feature can appear in options dialog.
Or, you can add new 'Find References...' menu like
- Find References (using current setting)
- Find References... (show dialogs which you can change options)
About 'Find All Refenreces', it can cause more confusion like you wrote.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  7:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Changing the default behaviour was a tricky decision, but we were getting quite a few bug reports where duplicate symbol names in different projects were causing problems, especially with Rename. Since Rename is built on top of Find References this seemed the best decision, and hopefully it will actually help and make a positive difference.

If you don't know where to look for the Find References project setting it is hard to find, this is a good point, I have put in a feature request to add this setting to the main VA options dialog:

case=75730

We don't expect people to want to change this setting very often, once it is set to a setting that suits your solution. Does this seem reasonable given your situation and experience?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000