New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  06:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At some point past build 1925 this has stopped working. This seems to be a problem with a project that has multiple solutions (exe + bunch of dlls for example). Previously, right-clicking on a member function in a class would show you everywhere that member function was being used. For the last two public builds, this does not work any more and will only show the usage either within the class itself, or if you're lucky, within the same containing solution .sln as the class, but never within other solutions in the project.

Rolling back to build 1925 fixes this. Clearing the history/rebuilding cache does not.

Edited by - sean on Apr 26 2013 12:23:44 PM

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2013 :  12:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build 1929 introduced an option to limit the scope of Find References and Rename to just a single project.

If you try 1929 or 1936 again, right-click in the Find References results window and see if "Search all projects" is checked.

Edited by - sean on Apr 26 2013 12:24:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  12:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seems to be a rather broken ui; bury a significant program operation changing feature as an undocumented (that I could find) option in the results window. It should be in the config options and/or the VAssitX menu.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  1:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no question our documentation efforts lag our release efforts. The change history page at http://www.wholetomato.com/support/history.asp is often times the sole documentation.

For updates of previous installations, the option should have been set to the previous (solution-wide) behavior. Did you install to a new machine? Or a new IDE?

There are actually three places where the option is set:
1) the "Search all projects" item in the context menu of the Find References results list
2) the second to last button in the toolbar of the Find References results window (tooltip with text "Display references from all projects")
3) the "Search all projects" checkbox in the Rename dialog

Edited by - sean on Apr 30 2013 1:16:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

NOPcode
Ketchup Master

USA
82 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  2:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, it doesn't resolve the problem. With 1925, I can put the cursor on a function that is declared outside of my project in a 3rd party library, and "Go" or "Find References" will work. With post 1925, this will often not work (but sometimes will if I exit and return back into Visual Studio) and I get the usual error about a function not being defined. This also effects color coding, so in 1939 most of my code looks like it's "broken" when it's really not.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the function defined in a file that you would expect to show up in the Open File in Solution dialog (ctrl+shift+o)?

Or is it only available via the include setting in one of your projects?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2013 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you go to the declaration of one of these problem functions, is the function declaration coloured by VA? Once you have opened the file with the declaration, does Find References now work correctly in your code?

I am wondering if VA is having problems finding the file that contains the declaration, or if it is having problems understanding the declaration.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000