slow parsing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andi2013

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  04:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have a strange performance problem in some of my c++ solutions. Since a few days the parsing after edit a file takes about 20 times longer than before. It can be up to 10seconds. I didn't changed any settings from VA or Visual Studio.
I already checked a few things:
Intellisense is disabled by rename the feacp.de
I cleared the history, set Rebuild database and reopened the solutions(many times).
I reinstalled VA with different versions from built 1842 to the latest one. I also deleted all VA files in AppData\\Local and Roaming directories. (in Windows 7)

I share some files in different solutions and in one the parsing is still fast and in the other it is slow. The G?parse all files when openingG? G?? option is set. I recognize that only the G?fastG? solution parses a lot of of files after opening it. The other solutions not.

Do you have any ideas what went wrong and how I can fix it?
I use Visual Studio 2008 and Windows 7.
If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks in advance

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  12:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a file specific problem, or are you seeing this problem in a lot of different files?

Can you run a CPU monitor please, and see if you are getting a lot of CPU activity from the IDE, devenv.exe, or from some other process?

Are you seeing a status bar message saying "VA X: Parsing <filename>" when you are seeing this problem? Large code files are known to slow down our parser, but this should effect all solutions, and my sample large file is 23,000 lines long, bigger than most code files.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Andi2013

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is in a lot of files. In bigger files (around 9000 lines) i see the parsinginfo in the statusbar for seconds. While this one CPU is completly taken by a thread from Visual Studio. I know that there are lot of things to do but a few weeks before it was fast. And this is a point I dont understand. Also the same file in another solution is parsed fast.

Do you have any ideas what happend?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this problem file identical in both solutions? The same file and path? Or is it just similar?

9000 lines is not enough on its own to explain this problem. My first thought is very heavy macro or template code, this can slow our parser down. But since this problem is solution specific I am guessing the problem code is in a header file in the problem solution.

If you comment out all of the #include lines in one of the problem files in the problem solution, what effect does this have?

Go to Top of Page

Andi2013

3 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is actually the same file. Not just identical. I dont like similar code in different files :)

I also tought that maybe another Header causes the problem and commented out all #includes. But is the same slow parsing behavoir without the includes.

Sometimes when i opened the solution VA parsed all files and it took about half an hour. But i didn't saw this in the last days. Even after deinstall the whole VA and install it again. Can this maybe indicates some error? From where VA gets all its information?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2013 :  7:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Half an hour to parse everything is a VERY long time! How large are the two solutions? How many files in each?

If you open VA's Open File in Solution dialog (Alt-Shift-O) the title bar contains two numbers. The first number is the number of files currently listed, which changes as you filter the list. The second number is the total number of files in the list, which is normally the number of files in your solution. What is this second number?

Are you just using one instance of the IDE when you see this problem?

I am assuming the two solutions have different include directories set. Does the problem solution reference or directly include any 3rd party libraries? I am wondering if there is some form of symbol overlap between the problem files and the directories the problem solution is set to check.

Can you please open the problem solution, but close the problem files. Then turn on VA logging, open one of the problem files, and use the command:

VAssistX -> Tools -> Reparse Current File

to trigger the slow parsing problem. Then close the IDE, to stop the log files from growing to large. Hopefully the log's will offer some clues.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000