Syntax Highlighting Bjorked Build 1912 + VS2K12
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  4:52:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having a problem with syntax highlighting in VS2012 RTM. It appears that VAX is "fighting" with VS over control over the font colors. When a source file is first opened, I can see VAX applying its color scheme but then VS immediately redraws it using its own. The two-pass draw is very apparent.

I've tried Reset Default in the Fonts and Color schemes. I've tried disabling and re-enabling syntax highlighting. I've tried manually changing the VAX colors. I've tried disabling and enabling VAX through the extension manager. I've tried reinstalling VAX. I've tried starting devenv with /resetsettings also to no avail.

I was able to recreate this using both Light and Dark themes.

Is there anyway to forcibly disable Visual Studio's syntax highlighting (short of manually editing every color)?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

J

EDIT: Also tried nuking the Cache registry key in FontsAndColors. Also as another data point, VAX seems to be coloring other UI elements fine (like the Navigation drop lists) - it's just the editor window that seems affected.

Edited by - jase439 on Aug 24 2012 5:10:44 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2012 :  9:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to be clear, you are not seeing VA's syntax highlighting in the editor, because the IDE has over written it?

Which OS are you using, and is this a 32bit or 64bit OS.
Do you have any other IDE extensions installed? They will be listed in:

IDE Tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

On a clean install of VS2012 I have:

Microsoft Web Developer Tools
NuGet Package Manager
Visual Assist X
Visual Studio Extensions for Windows Library for JavaScr...

so if you have a different list this might be a factor.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2012 :  9:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing this with C++?

quote:
Is there anyway to forcibly disable Visual Studio's syntax highlighting

Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Semantic Colorization

If you change the above option, does it make any difference?
Go to Top of Page

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Just to be clear, you are not seeing VA's syntax highlighting in the editor, because the IDE has over written it?

Correct. The C++ syntax colorization supplied by VS2012 is being applied "on top of" VAX. For a moment, immediately after the source file is opened, I will briefly see the correct VAX colorization applied and then immediately it will revert back to VS2012's f'ugly defaults.

quote:
Which OS are you using, and is this a 32bit or 64bit OS.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64

quote:
Do you have any other IDE extensions installed? They will be listed in:

I don't. This is a clean install of VS2012 RTM. No other packages, apart from VAX 1912, have been installed as of yet. My extension list is the same as yours sans the Web Developer Tools (which I did not install).

quote:
Are you seeing this with C++?

Yes.

quote:
Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Semantic Colorization

If you change the above option, does it make any difference?

Thank you. I suspect it will. I currently do not have access to this system at the moment, but will attempt this once IT has returned my PC back into my custody ;-)

On a side note, I tested this behavior on my laptop which also has a clean install of VS2012 and VAX 1912, and it does NOT exhibit this problem (identical VS and VAX settings). It's something environmental (package load ordering, perhaps?), it seems, and not a systemic issue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  2:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using the same solution on your laptop as well as the machine with the problem? Its possible this effect is somehow solution specific. I am not sure why it should be, but its worth being aware of as a possibility.

Go to Top of Page

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you using the same solution on your laptop as well as the machine with the problem? Its possible this effect is somehow solution specific. I am not sure why it should be, but its worth being aware of as a possibility.

Yes and no. I'm just messing around with the new VS/VAX environment with a generated *cough* MFC *cough* dummy test app. The solutions are identical content-wise, but they were each generated independently from the application/project wizard on each machine. I can certainly try opening a different solution file to see if the problem follows.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  09:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new default solution should never trigger a problem like this, so its probably not the solution its self that is the trigger.

On the problem machine where is the problem solution saved / stored? A local drive? A network share? Some form of mapped drive letter, perhaps via subst?

Basically are you aware of anything at all odd or different about the machine that shows this problem?

Go to Top of Page

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  10:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's nothing odd about the solution. It's in the Visual Studio 2012 project folder in my user directory on the local drive. I literally spent all of 10 seconds creating it - just to have a sample app to mess around with; nothing clever about it.

Also, disabling syntax highlighting via Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Semantic Colorization, as expected, does indeed fix the problem.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  11:06:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd. Is turning off "Disable Semantic Colorization" a suitable work around for now for you?

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Go to Top of Page

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2012 :  2:00:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Odd. Is turning off "Disable Semantic Colorization" a suitable work around for now for you?

Oh, absolutely. Completely acceptable! Long term, it would be nice to have this fixed but this is definitely workable.

quote:

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

Check your inbox.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2012 :  4:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the settings files, thank you for these. So far I cannot reproduce the problem, everything is just working perfectly for me.

Can you please try upgrading to VA 1916 and see if this makes any difference:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

If not, can you please export your full VS2012 settings and send me the file, this might make a difference. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  2:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not having an issue with 1916. If I reset "Tools -> Options... -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Semantic Colorization" to False, the colorization remains correct where it didn't previously. Did anything change on this front?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  2:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think this was deliberately fixed, I am not seeing anything obvious in the change log for VA 1916. If this is somehow related to another extension on your system it is possible installing the new build of VA helped. In older IDE's I have very occasionally seen the order in which addins are installed matter.

Hopefully this will stay fixed, but if the problem comes back again please let us know and I will do what I can to help.

Go to Top of Page

jase439
Ketchup Master

54 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  5:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have installed the Spaghetti beta since I first opened this thread. So, maybe that kicked something in the ass with the package extension loader :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2012 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the Spaghetti beta has not caused this problem, that would be rather embarrassing. Quite a few people have installed the Spaghetti beta, and I don't think anyone else has reported this problem, so what ever the trigger is, its not quite this simple.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000