VA prevents me from typing some characters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Queequeg

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  03:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In *.hpp files, I'm currently unable to type a '(' character in certain positions, because VA seems to replace it with "Arrow Right", so only my cursor is getting repositioned. I can type just fine if I disable VA from the menu.

Ex. file:
QString s
/** */

I can type '(' almost everywhere in line 2, except in Col 7, and not at all in line 1.

The colon character ':' also seems to be problematic, sometimes it prevents me from typing a colon after another one.

I'm using 10.6.1849.0.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  11:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please look and see if you have the IDE option:

"Show Miscellaneous files in Solution Explorer" in Tools|Options|Environment|Documents.

turned On or Off? If this is turned On can you please turn it Off and see if this makes any difference? There is a known IDE bug that can cause the problem you are seeing with this option turned on, so this might be what is happening here.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Queequeg

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  3:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, this option is turned off.

I've never had this problem at work, where I have the exact same setup (VS2010, Win 7 x64, same VAX build). I could try to transfer the settings from there to my home computer, but how do I do that? Just export the registry key?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  4:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can export your VA and IDE settings via:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

The VA settings are simply a .reg file which you double click to import, while the IDE settings file is imported in the Import and Export settings dialog.

I have seen this problem come up a couple of other times with different causes. Once this was a file specific problem, and was caused by very heavy template code that was confusing our parser. This could be a factor if this problem is file specific, or only effects a few specific files.

One user was working with a Logitech keyboard, and when they updated the old version of the software for the keyboard to the latest version the problem went away. So do you have a "clever" keyboard, that has some form of software to help drive the extra keys?

Any other software running that might be trapping or looking for global key presses?

Go to Top of Page

Queequeg

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  5:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it unlikely that it's something like an external driver, because everything works fine in the same file if I disable Visual Assist from the menu.

I'll try importing the Settings from my work computer tomorrow and see if that helps. Thank you for your help so far.

Edited by - Queequeg on Jul 30 2012 5:30:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  1:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this is being caused by, or is related to a 3rd party program or driver then it is probably interfering with how VA is trying to listen to the keyboard. I think we have only have a 3rd party program cause a problem like this once or twice, so its hardly a common problem, but it is something to be aware of.

Hopefully the settings will offer some clues here.

Go to Top of Page

Queequeg

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  1:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problems are gone after I imported the settings from work. Thank you for your help.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  9:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you back up your home settings before importing your work settings? If so, I was wondering if I could get a copy of both your home and work settings, to see if I can work out what was causing this problem. Obviously not being able to type certain characters is serious, and if this is caused simply by certain IDE settings it would be good to know which settings.

If this is possible please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000