Feature Requests
 Add Goto Definition version of Goto Implemention
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i2i

4 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  09:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Goto Definition version of Visual studio (F12) is too slow to be useful for large solutions I use. Goto implemention is nice and quick but it always asks me to choose between declaration (header file) and definition file(cpp), quite annoying. Could you add also 2 functions that have the speed of goto implementation but just bring me to the definition or to the header file?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2012 :  1:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If VA find's both an implementation and a declaration, then the implementation should always be the top item in the Alt-g menu, so you can just press Enter without stopping to read the menu if you are after the implementation. Once you have reached either the implementation or the declaration alt-g will take you directly to the matching implementation / declaration.

Do you often need to go directly to the declaration instead of the implementation?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

i2i

4 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  08:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I need very often to go to the implementation (95% source /5% header file). I don't want to use two hands to simple jump to the implementation of a method when I am reading the source of a method that calls other methods. From your response, my suggestion is to let ALT-g always jump to the source file (implementation) and if I really want to see the header file (declaration) I could press ALT-g again which would take me without question to header. That requires only one hand still and safes an annoying dialog box.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  6:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA also displays the overloads of a method, or the implementations of a pure virtual method in the inherited classes. But when there are no such things (so you have only 1 item to choose from), a feature that goes directly to the implementation could work. When there are more than one implementations, a listbox can still appear (F12 also populates a list sometimes)

All in all, I have put in a feature request for this to see what the developers make of it:

case=66885
Go to Top of Page

i2i

4 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  09:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me again, I noticed in 10.7.1916.0 it has not yet been implemented.
I can imagine, some people might like the current setup, but a feature like a VAssist function that can be linked to shortcut key that would always jump to the c* file (if there is only one c* file) is little intrusive and very helpful. Similar to the F3 button in java eclipse.

Did/Could you add that function request in 66885?

And is there any way to see whether suggestions like (66885) are scheduled for a release?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  6:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't use Java Eclipse so I don't know what F3 does there. case=66885 is asking for a command to go directly to the implementation, which will normally be the .cpp file. When this is done you should have a new command you can map a keyboard shortcut to, to trigger this directly.

So I think the case covers what you want here.

This has not been done yet, but it is something we are looking to add sooner rather than later. You cannot check the state of a case directly, but if you post an enquiry we can check for you and let you know what, if anything, is happening.

Go to Top of Page

i2i

4 Posts

Posted - May 27 2013 :  04:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I saw a number of changes w.r.t. ALT+G in recent builds (e.g. 1936), this is issue has not yet been addressed. Can you give a status update on issue 66885?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18748 Posts

Posted - May 28 2013 :  7:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=66885 is still in our list of features to add, it has not been forgotten about, but unfortunately I don't currently have an estimate for when this will be done.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000