New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  10:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[VAX1903, VS2010]

Quite often, if I'm quick, I can switch to a file and press Alt+M and start typing before the Alt+M menu is ready. (Perhaps the menu is being built in the background, I couldn't say.) My press of Alt+M is then ignored, my typing ends up in the document, and it's annoying. This trips me up several times a day; Alt+M is my primary means of navigating through code I know well.

If the Alt+M menu isn't ready, VAX should give it more time before just giving up. If there's a real need for a timeout, something like 2-3 seconds would probably make more sense than none at all.

Thanks,

--Tom

Edited by - tom_seddon on Apr 12 2012 10:28:55 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  12:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How easily can you reproduce this problem? It sounds like you can make this happen on demand.

How are you switching to a file? Open file dialog, alt-o, some other method? Does the method of switching files matter?
How large are the files that you are seeing this problem with?
Are they template heavy C++ files?

I recognise this problem, but it was fixed back in VA 1640 (case 8857), and at the time I was reproducing this by opening a .cpp file with 23,000 lines in it.

I cannot reproduce this problem here, opening the same large test file via VA's Open File dialog, in VS2010 with VA 1903.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Apr 12 2012 12:12:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  09:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ctrl+Tab, or Alt+O, usually. File length doesn't appear to be the problem. It happens for me on a 36-line file. The solution I'm currently working on has 2,883 files (mostly fairly small) in 63 projects, so maybe size of solution has something to do with it?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2012 :  3:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think solution size on its own is the problem here.

I have just been testing this here with a C++ solution of 25,000 files, and I cannot reproduce this problem. Sometimes VS2010 is sluggish when swapping files, as you would expect, but typing is never going into the editor, even when the VA nagivation and context files have not yet been properly drawn when I press alt-m and start typing.

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Are you able to reproduce this problem in a new, default C++ solution? It is possible this is somehow solution specific for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  1:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I managed to sort-of reproduce it somewhat reliably:

1. create a new win32 console project with the default settings (you get 2 source files - whatever.cpp, and stdafx.cpp)

2. close all windows, then open whatever.cpp and stdafx.cpp

3. Repeatedly press Ctrl+Tab, then Alt+M - about 15-20% of the time, the menu doesn't appear.

Having now done this quite a lot, I spotted that the status bar says (rather briefly) "VA X: List methods is not available in this view" when this happens. So presumably this might narrow things down a bit...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2012 :  4:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same effect, and the same message. Thank you for the clear instructions:

case=66181

For me, a second alt-m opens the methods in file list correctly, which is something. Are you seeing this as well?

Go to Top of Page

tom_seddon
Tomato Guru

162 Posts

Posted - May 07 2012 :  6:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, apologies for the delayed response. Yes, a second Alt+M does the trick.

This doesn't prevent me from working, it's just that once my fingers are primed to type "Ctrl+TAB Alt+M e n f i RET", or whatever, they do just that. By the time I've spotted that the menu hasn't appeared, there's an "enfi\\n" in the document that I need to get rid of!

--Tom
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - May 11 2012 :  2:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, this is some good news. We are looking into this, but it is not yet clear how easy it will be to fix.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000