Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Possible to use Visual Assist standalone?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JonasKje

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  11:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an API for using Visual Assist as a standalone library?

The use case is that I use the Vim editor for most of my coding and I would like to lookup symbols from Visual Assist's database.

So if there was an API where I could tell Visual Assist to load a solution and then look up symbols from it, then I could implement support for that in Vim.

Is there such an API? Please, please? :)

-Jonas Kjellstr+?m

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  12:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no, VA hooks quite deeply into Microsoft Visual Studio, and cannot be used without the IDE.

I used to work in Vim a lot, and found ctags to be very helpful, once I had it configured. Have you looked into this?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

JonasKje

2 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2011 :  12:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. That's what I suspected.

I'm using both ctags and cscope, but both are inferior compared to VAssist. Especially for really large projects.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2011 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if you are working under Linux, which is common when using Vim, you can still edit inside Visual Studio, with the assistance of VA, and access your code via a mapped drive letter. There are also some plugins to make Visual Studio work more like Vim.

Perhaps something to consider, since then you can get the best of both worlds.

Go to Top of Page

Manuzor

Germany
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  04:31:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also wondering whether Visual Assist can be used standalone. I'm mainly using Sublime Text as my editor when I can but it lacks something like Visual Assist, at least on Windows.

The only two things that still make me use Visual Studio are Visual Assist and the Visual Studio debugger. I'd be fine with using it as a debugger but I'd be more than happy to turn by code-editing back on it. The beast is just too heavy-weight for me. (I'm always stunned when Visual Studio takes several seconds to open a simple text file, even with VCS stuff turned off...)

So, after almost 6 years have passed, is there any chance by now to look forward to a standalone version?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2017 :  08:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no, we still don't have any plans to make VA work as a stand alone tool. If you want to avoid some of the performance overhead, which is perfectly understandable, do you have access to an older version of Visual Studio? With a modern machine an older version of the IDE plus VA makes for a fast and nice editing environment. But it is still not a replacement for a light weight text editor.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000