Technical Support
 Tooltip flicker
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sergiu

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2004 :  7:12:14 PM  Show Profile
Two issues: a couple of seconds, after the tooltip with the function declaration pop-ups, it begins to flicker badly. I find it very annoying.

Second: after typing the scope operator for a global function, the IDE freezes for a while, then the default intellisense menu is shown, although 'Use default IntelliSense when available' option is deactivated.

I use VC7.1 and the latest build.

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2004 :  7:33:06 PM  Show Profile
We cannot reproduce the flicker problem, even with our dog-slow testing system used to isolate flicker. Does the flicker occur every time you type a ( and get info? Does it occur if you move the caret to a parameter list and press Ctrl+Shift+Space?

Do you have any other add-ins or packages installed? Might they conflict and cause the flicker?

VA X does not generate a members listbox for :: regardless of the "Use Default Intellisense..." setting. VA X leaves the task to MS.

We assume you have build 1219.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.

Edited by - support on Mar 08 2004 8:04:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sergiu

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  4:00:32 PM  Show Profile
The flicker problem occurs every time when the tooltip with function paramaters pops up. If I press escape after the parameter infos are shown, then move the caret and press Ctrl+Shift+Space it doesn't flicker anymore.

I'm testing on a machine with an Athlon XP 2100+ and Windows XP Pro installed on, VAX Build 1219. No other add-ins or packages are installed.

Edited by - Sergiu on Mar 09 2004 4:03:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  8:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Does the problem go away if you change the setting of "Use Default Intellisense..."?

Does the problem occur for all functions and/or methods? If not, can you give an example of a common function which exhibits the problem?

Go to Top of Page

Sergiu

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  12:50:14 AM  Show Profile
It flickers on all methods no matter if 'use default intellisense' option is turned on or off.

The tooltip which flickers, differs from the one I see after pressing Ctrl+Shift+Space. I'd say the first one, is VC's default which recognizes the function as global.

Here's a screenshot, if it helps:
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  05:51:16 AM  Show Profile
I see this flicker also and have experienced it from the outset (1214). I figured it was no more than a temporary 'beta feature'. For what its worth, the screenshot:

The flicker occurs when parameter info is not currently displayed and I add the trailing comma to add further parameters. At this point, if VAX puts up its own formatted parameter info tooltip, I get flicker.

Oddly the flicker is intermitent on my computer. The tooltip will be stable (flicker free) for about 6 or 7 seconds, then flicker for about 2 or 3 seconds. This cycle of stable/flicker continues indefinitely (well at least for the minute or so until I got bored).

Also, I note that sometimes a text coloured parameter info will get displayed and at other times an uncoloured parameter info will get displayed. Not sure why that should be.

VA_X.dll file version 10.0.1219.0
Licensed to:
VA.NET 7.1: Trial License
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.0.0.40
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Courier New 17(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
Single processor

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile
Sergiu: Can we assume the flicker appears in your first tooltip, not when you press Ctrl+Shift+Space?

hebbja: Your tooltip is from MS. We know since VA X does not include the nice, little arrows in its tooltips. VA X displays, "[1 of 2]." As such, are only the MS tooltips flickering? Perhaps the flicker occurs without VA X -- try disabling using the "Enable/disable" command in the VAssistX menu. Otherwise, the flicker might be from a conflict -- maybe VA X is disturbing the MS tooltip.

As for coloring of parameter info, you might have a case where the IDE displays its own tooltip and VA X does not see it happen. (VA X adds coloring to IDE tooltips as well as those of its own.) The IDE can paint a tooltip in numerous ways. Language settings and font often dictate how the IDE displays tooltips. See if you can find a repeatable case for lack of coloring.

Good clues are going to help solve these problems. We appreciate your efforts.

Go to Top of Page

Sergiu

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile
exactly, the flicker occurs only in the first tooltip.
Go to Top of Page

hebbja

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  5:17:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
As such, are only the MS tooltips flickering?
I am using C# and, as such, VS provides such extensive coverage for parameter info tooltips, I have been unable to produce a situation where VAX offers its own. Suggestions welcome.

quote:
Perhaps the flicker occurs without VA X
Disabling VAX results in complete flicker-free parameter info tooltips.

quote:
See if you can find a repeatable case for lack of coloring
Dismissing the coloured parameter info tooltip by pressing ESC and then pressing CTRL+SHIFT+SPACE always results in a non-coloured flicker-free parameter info tooltip.

Only the coloured parameter tooltips are flickering. The non coloured ones are always stable.

I hope this is helpful.

James Hebben
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2004 :  2:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Removed flicker from tooltips in build 1230.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000