Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 License activation behind a proxy

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
darktears Posted - Sep 26 2023 : 09:21:18 AM
Hi,

Like many users of Visual Assist I'm often behind a proxy. Activating the license does not work behind a proxy, the request times out. I'm well aware that there are other means of activations and I end up using them (or jump out of the VPN to avoid the proxy). I remember this being an issue years ago and I would say that I'm disappointed that the Visual Assist team still has not spend a bit of time to fix this issue, after all it's usually not that hard to support a proxy. And I'm sure there are quite a few Visual Assist corp users here.

Now what seems to be new for me is that every time I launch Visual Studio when on VPN, Visual Assist asks me to activate again my license and that's quite annoying. I need to jump out of the VPN, find my serial number etc etc. It seems that even if I use the offline activation the issue still comes back (and sometimes I get weird errors about purchasing a new license because the installed version doesn't match or something).

I would say that there is nothing more frustrating than a paying customer having to deal with stupid/buggy license/activation system. I'm not talking about bugs or issues but simply to use what I paid for.

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 18 2024 : 10:56:52 AM
That isn't supposed to happen. Can you give me a sense of how often this is happening? Several times a day? A couple of times a week?

It shouldn't be happening at all, but some sense of the frequency might help.
darktears Posted - Jan 18 2024 : 09:16:15 AM
Yes I did delete all folder as you suggested. It keeps happening at random.
feline Posted - Jan 17 2024 : 12:02:36 PM
Do you mean that VA keeps on "loosing" the license, so you have to re-enter it? If so, can you please once more try closing all instances of Visual Studio, then deleting the folder:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero

doing this will cause VA to prompt you for your license the next time you load Visual Studio, but it should now be saved out correctly, and remembered.

If this isn't the problem you are seeing, could you please explain the problem you are actually seeing?
darktears Posted - Jan 17 2024 : 11:56:15 AM
It keeps happening, it's just plain annoying.
darktears Posted - Sep 26 2023 : 11:52:14 AM
I'll try the suggested steps.

If it was a transparent proxy then nothing would be needed from Visual Assist. It's a set address proxy and no authentication is required. If Visual Assist reads the proxy settings then it should just work. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/winhttp/nf-winhttp-winhttpgetdefaultproxyconfiguration is probably a good start assuming that's available from the extension code.
feline Posted - Sep 26 2023 : 10:13:13 AM
Apologies for this.

You may be running into a problem where your license isn't being saved out correctly. This does come up occasionally. Can you please try closing all instances of Visual Studio and then deleting the directory:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Embarcadero
next time you load Visual Studio you will need to enter your license once more, but this time it should be saved out correctly, no longer prompting you all the time.

As for the proxy, does the proxy requires authentication, or is it supposed to be a transparent proxy? I would not expect a transparent proxy to be a problem.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000