Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Tool tip doesn't show when hover over

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pixlor Posted - Jan 17 2023 : 5:56:36 PM
Tool tip no longer shows up when I hover over after latest update.

A little history:

When I downloaded VA in the summer the tool tip didn't work for VS2022. I was told by support they would fix the bug.

The next version fixed the bug! Tool tip worked and all was good.

The next version tool tip broke again. No longer works.

Is this a bug or is there something I might have set wrong on my end? I didn't change anything except update to the latest version.

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Jan 23 2023 : 07:36:41 AM
Thank you for the update, I am glad this was as simple as an option getting turned off. Not sure how that happened, but it was easily fixed.
Pixlor Posted - Jan 20 2023 : 8:09:08 PM
Thank you so much! I have no idea how that got turned off.

Works great now!
feline Posted - Jan 19 2023 : 05:23:36 AM
I have just double checked this here, using VS2022 and VA 2471.0, in an Unreal Engine solution, with IDE intellisense disabled via the same option, and I am getting mouse hover tooltips from VA just fine.

Do you have the VA options:

VA Options -> Display -> Show Quick Info tooltips for more symbols
Show additional comments when available
Show tooltips for braces and structural keywords

On or Off? If all of these are Off does turning them On make any difference?

Can you please try adding the very simple test case:

short verySimpleTooltipHoverTarget() { return 2; }
short verySimpleTooltipCaller() { return verySimpleTooltipHoverTarget() * 3; }

to one of your cpp files. After VA has applied syntax colouring to the function names, so we know it has parsed the edit, which should be nearly instantly, you should get a tooltip when hovering the mouse pointer over any of the three function names.

Can you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the function names. You should see both function names, plus any other free (non class member) functions in the current file listed in the bottom section of VA View.
Pixlor Posted - Jan 18 2023 : 7:09:00 PM
Thanks for getting back on this.

Unfortunately, I've had intelligence disabled the whole time but doesn't work (see attached). The settings are the same as when they fixed the bug in the previous release.

I'm using VS2022 C++ for Unreal Engine game development.

feline Posted - Jan 18 2023 : 08:45:35 AM
Do you know if you have disabled IDE intellisense? This is normally done via:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> IntelliSense -> Disable IntelliSense = True

the bug I think you are talking about is that VA did not show tooltips on mouse hover in your code in VS2022 if IDE intellisense was disabled. Tooltips are showing up correctly for me in using VS2022 and VA 2471.0 with IDE intellisense disabled, so you might be running into a different problem.

Which programming language, or languages, are you working in?

If you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the variable is the correct information displayed? I am checking to see if VA is picking up and responding to mouse hover events correctly here.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000