Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Format after Paste works when it should not

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jmoleary Posted - Dec 16 2022 : 1:49:50 PM
I am having a problem where Format After Paste does not limit itself to just pasting. It also works when I do simple block typing.

To illustrate, I like to line my code up in columns so I used Visual Studio's block selector feature to insert a single in 3 lines of code simultaneously. Specifically I hold down the ALT and select a vertical line immediately before the word "get" in 3 lines of code. I then hit the SPACE bar to move the get to the right a bit.

So I changed my code from this...

property Length     GrooveDepth     {         Length    get(); }
property Length     GrooveWidth     {         Length    get(); }
property Length     CircleDistance  {         Length    get(); }
property ShapeEnum^ Shapes          { virtual ShapeEnum^ get() override;  }

...to this (note the 3 getters moved to the right to align up with the 4th line). So far so good.

property Length     GrooveDepth     {         Length     get(); }
property Length     GrooveWidth     {         Length     get(); }
property Length     CircleDistance  {         Length     get(); }

But then when I left click anywhere else in the editor window, Visual Assist reformats them like this:

property Length     GrooveDepth {         Length     get(); }
property Length     GrooveWidth {         Length     get(); }
property Length     CircleDistance {         Length     get(); }

After playing around, disabling extensions and the like I found that the settings that controls this was Visual Assist's Editor >> Format After Paste checkbox. Once I UN-check that, it fixes the problem.

But this is not a paste. It is an edit. Is there any way to stop VAssist from doing this without disabling that option?
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Dec 19 2022 : 08:45:45 AM
Thank you for the clear description. That is really strange, I don't see why format after paste would be triggered under these conditions. It's not happening 100% of the time for me, but its close, certainly very easy to trigger once you know what to do.

case=148946

At least for me, Undo, CTRL+Z is undoing the format step, so hopefully this also works as a work around for you as well.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000