Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAssistX don't parse all class

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
twilek Posted - Mar 20 2017 : 11:00:54 AM
Hello

I use VAssistX more than 8 years :) i love it, but now, the assist sometime can't parse some source line?

Visual Studio 2015 Professional
License: XXXXXXXXXXXXX (4-user license) Support ends 2017.03.01
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2118.0 built 2016.12.12
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.14393.0
Windows 10 10.0 Build 14393
4 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1250, 0x40e

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;

for example:
i have a file:

// These lines are parsed:
typedef int myint;
typedef char mychar;

// This line isn't parsed
typedef bool mybool;

i created a template class
template<typename T>
class MyTemplate
{};

it's parsed (colorized and have code complition in this file)

But i move to other file and use it:
class MyClass : public MyTemplate<int>
{};

and in this file, VA not found the class, not colorized (intellisense see it), don't show in code completition list, can't jump to definition, etc

I rebuilt the database, clear the history, restart VS IDE and PC too
Uninstalled VA, remove extension folder from c:\Users\MYUSER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Extensions\, reinstall VA ... didn't solve the problem :(

Any idea? I don't like to change from VA but it not working now and wait to renew my licenses ... :(

Thanks

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Mar 23 2017 : 10:09:31 AM
When this happens, can you still open the VA Options dialog?

What about the VA Open File dialog?

If you move to a different code file, is VA active in this file, or is VA disabled here as well?

I am trying to work out if this is file specific, and how fully VA is disabled. If the VA options dialog is disabled, then VA is "very" disabled. Or it could be that VA is still active, but not active in some of your files, for some reason.
twilek Posted - Mar 23 2017 : 04:47:42 AM
Hi

I have a solution with ~300 files and ~20000 lines
If i open the solution VA works, but i create a new header file and declare a new class then create a new cpp, add the header and the cpp to the solution then include to the stdafx.h, then i add #include "stdafx.h" to the cpp, VA shows the class declaration, syntax highlight, code complete works, but after some seconds or i reopen the cpp (switch with alt+o or simple file select) VA doesn't work until i restart the IDE ...
feline Posted - Mar 22 2017 : 4:14:30 PM
After the IDE restart, does this keep on working, or do you see this problem where nothing works happening again?

Have you ever seen this problem, where VA totally stops working, before? I am not sure what happened here. If you were able to reproduce this state, I would be interesting in finding out if any parts of VA are working for you, or if VA is totally disabled.

Can you provide me with more details of the steps you took? Did you create or open a project before creating these new code files, or did you create the files, and then create a project and add the files to the project?
twilek Posted - Mar 22 2017 : 12:26:19 PM
Hi

I have a default problem now.
I create a header file:
myfile.h
and add a class declaration:

namespace nNS
{
class MyClass {
public:
MyClass();
};
}

it's ok, parsed, works well
i create a cpp file:
myfile.cpp
Add header and cpp to the project, include to the stdafx.h
and i see the MyClass in the cpp file, then i switch back to header then back to cpp, i don't see the class ... va show as unknow types, no code complete, not know the members, functions, etc ... :(

fully not works :(

I need to restart the IDE to works again, but it's not a solution when a plugin price is 279$ ...
twilek Posted - Mar 22 2017 : 12:23:47 PM
Hi

Yes, in my previous post i make a "hack" typedef and it's works
feline Posted - Mar 21 2017 : 08:31:19 AM
Currently what is happening is by design, since VA is designed to parse and be active in code that is not currently being compiled, so we can help you to edit and work on this code. In this case, can you please try creating a file called "va_stdafx.h" in the same directory as your SLN or PROJ file. There is no need to add this file to the solution, VA knows to search for it directly. Inside this file, please add the code:

#define bool bool

and make sure the file ends with a blank line. After saving the file, please press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart your IDE. This file is designed to help our parser work around confusing or difficult code, and is parsed before anything else. This file is explained here:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W302

Hopefully this will fix the problem you are seeing.
twilek Posted - Mar 20 2017 : 12:45:22 PM
Ohh i found one problem
In MySQL C Api my_global.h i found this code:

#if !defined(__cplusplus) && !defined(bool)
#define bool In_C_you_should_use_my_bool_instead()
#endif

Visual Studio hide this define because the bool is defined and __cplusplus is defined (i use this code and don't redefine the bool)
When i deleted this code (or commented out) then press reparse current file in the type definition file, VA work perfectly again :)

so ... i think it is a VA bug? can fix it? :)

twilek Posted - Mar 20 2017 : 12:41:56 PM
Hello

I use pure C++ (C++11)

When i created a new project and add this line:
typedef bool mybool;
it parsed very well, i copied the whole header file (lots of typedef, etc) and parsed very well, so the error in the current project :( but i don't know what ...

I can't upload the project or any file :(
I hacked the code completition and syntax highliter with this:

typedef bool _private_bool_dont_use_it; /* Visual Assist can't parse this line */
typedef _private_bool_dont_use_it bool_t;

this is works ... the _private_bool_dont_use_it parsed only by intelisens, but the bool_t is parsed by VA too :)

When i press Alt+M and list objects see the _private_bool_dont_use_it with brown color and the next type in yellow color (yellow is the good :)) so VA see it but as not valid?

I don't see the bool_t in whole project :(

feline Posted - Mar 20 2017 : 12:24:03 PM
Are you working in pure C++, or C++ CLI, or something else?

Are you seeing these problems in all files, or is the problem file specific? It sounds like something in the files is confusing our parser. If so, there should be some evidence of this, and some clues as to where and what the problem is.

In one of the problem files, can you please look at VA Outline and the Alt-M list. Do these seem to be correct, or do they have problems? If you go to the bottom of the file, is VA Outline still correct, and showing you the correct scope and position in the file?

What about the VA Context and Definition fields?

If something part way down the file is confusing us, then hopefully you can get a sense of where in the file it is, and maybe narrow down to the actual problem code its self.

Is there any chance of getting a copy of one of the problem code files for testing here? I appreciate this is often not possible, but it's worth asking on the off chance.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000