Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Smart suggestion is too aggressive

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
samaursa Posted - Sep 07 2014 : 8:03:45 PM
If I have code like this:

core_cs::entity_vptr rttQuad

and then I type an equal sign, and then press SPACE:

core_cs::entity_vptr rttQuad =

smart suggestion pops-up. Now a lot of times I press ENTER right after the = because I want to avoid going over the 80 character limit, although this is not the only reason to press ENTER at that point (I have disabled the rest of the suggestion committed keystrokes).

The ENTER selects the smart suggestion. Now I do want ENTER to select suggestions from VA as once I get used to it I can code quite fast. But smart suggestions after a SPACE is unwanted. I would like the suggestion to popup when I start typing letters but not when I type a SPACE. I have yet to come across a useful suggestion from VA after inserting a SPACE.

It would be great if there is an option to dictate the granularity of the smart suggestion i.e. it pops-up when I start typing letters only.

Note that I did not experience this aggressiveness in smart suggestion in earlier builds (I don't exactly remember which ones but they were from a year or two ago). Somehow I cannot get used to pressing ESC when an unwanted suggestion comes up and I end up selecting the suggestion instead of expecting a new line; I then undo, and start a new line (sometimes VA re-suggests the same suggestion after the undo, making for a frustrating few seconds of making sure I press ESC before pressing ENTER).
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Nov 07 2014 : 09:55:55 AM
case=85062 is implemented in build 2052 (checkbox added to Suggestions page of VA Options dialog).
accord Posted - Sep 15 2014 : 12:49:21 PM
Thank you for your feedback - I have put in an enhancement request for this:

case=85062
samaursa Posted - Sep 11 2014 : 03:26:46 AM
Being able to disable smart suggestion would work.

I have actually disabled selection by Tab in Visual Assist mostly because I use it a lot while writing the code and VA will accept an incorrect entry when I simply want a tab (the workaround is to press escape to make the listbox go away and then press tab - but that is cumbersome).
accord Posted - Sep 10 2014 : 7:00:19 PM
Smart suggestions are picking up variables from the local scope by type. So it's not rare for me to get just 1 or 2 listbox items. Providing smart suggestions when you start typing would be frustrating: it would filter this 1 or 2 items, so your listbox would be mostly empty (no suggestions).

Would a feature be acceptable for you which you could use to disable smart suggestions? This would do what you want: suggestions that appear when you start typing.

For now, the only workaround I can think of is disabling suggestions via Enter, so you would need to use Tab in the future.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000