Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 No toolbar icons in VS 2022 with DPI 113%

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
stefanr Posted - Jun 29 2022 : 03:45:56 AM
Problem: Visual Assist Toolbar icons are not visible.
Visual Studio 2022

Steps to reproduce:

• Uninstall Visual Assist

• Open Display Settings

• Goto Advanced scaling settings

• Enter a custom scaling size between 100% and 500%: 113

• Install Visual Assist for (Select Visual Studio 2022)

• Open Visual Studio 2022. At this point Toolbar Icons are OK.

• Restart the computer

• Open Visual Studio 2022.

• Error: Toolbar Icons are missing

There is a workaround if you want to work with 113% DPI:

• Set DPI scaling to 100%

• Reinstall Visual Assist

• Restart Computer

• Set DPI to 113%

• Now the icons are OK

It seemed to that the cached icons are not correctly created when DPI is 113%

best,
Stefan

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 09 2023 : 05:36:35 AM
Thank you for the update, at least you are not running into this all the time. Hopefully this stays fixed. I would like to think the missing icons fixes will help you, but your trigger condition is a bit different, so I am honestly not sure what is going on here.
lkev Posted - May 08 2023 : 2:25:14 PM
Thanks for the update!
Didn't encounter the issue again since my last post and updated to VA 2476 in the meantime.
I will post again if it resurfaces, and upgrade to 2488 once our IT department has it packaged (might take a while).
feline Posted - May 08 2023 : 2:08:58 PM
Apologies for the slow reply, but so far no sign of this problem here. I have docked and undocked the laptop quite a few times now, with VS2022 open, and having it move between the laptop screen with the 125% DPI setting and the external monitor with the 100% DPI setting, and the icons are always being drawn correctly for me.

You might want to try VA 2488, which we released a few days ago, which contains fixes for missing icons, so its possible that one of these fixes will help you:

https://www.wholetomato.com/downloads
feline Posted - Apr 27 2023 : 10:43:17 AM
I have a laptop with a docking station here, so I can run some tests, see if I can reproduce this here myself. It sounds like this is at least slightly random in nature, even if normally very common.
lkev Posted - Apr 27 2023 : 10:39:06 AM
I hate to admit it, but right now the button icons reappeared and I cannot make them disappear again to reproduce the issue.
The only thing I did that even vaguely might have had some influence is going to "Manage Extensions" and to the System Info in the VA X dialogue.

quote:
Originally posted by feline

The internal build number is often the easier way of telling which version of VA we are talking about. The latest version is 2476.0, you are currently using 2471.0 which is the previous version. So if you have the time can you please try installing the latest version:

I will do so and see if the issue re-surfaces.

quote:
When you are switching, are you connecting / disconnecting the external monitor, or just moving the Visual Studio window between the two monitors that have different scaling settings? If you are just moving the window, are you dragging it with the mouse or using a windows command, or a 3rd party tool to move the window?
here.

Most of the time it's dis/connecting external monitors through a docking station, while it's closed i.e. internal screen switched off. No windows command ot 3rd party tool involved. That is also the UC that concerns me.
Lesser times, it's dragging an open VS window between an external screen scaled to 125% and the internal screen at 100% (but that wouldn't bother me that much).
feline Posted - Apr 27 2023 : 10:05:30 AM
The internal build number is often the easier way of telling which version of VA we are talking about. The latest version is 2476.0, you are currently using 2471.0 which is the previous version. So if you have the time can you please try installing the latest version:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads

When you are switching, are you connecting / disconnecting the external monitor, or just moving the Visual Studio window between the two monitors that have different scaling settings? If you are just moving the window, are you dragging it with the mouse or using a windows command, or a 3rd party tool to move the window?

I personally use Display Fusion on my multiple monitor system and it has a command for moving a window to the next monitor, so I want to make sure I am trying the same approach as you, to see if I can reproduce this problem here.
lkev Posted - Apr 27 2023 : 09:52:46 AM
quote:

Which version of VA are you using? We fixed a problem that can cause missing toolbar icons in our latest release, 2022.6. So if you are using an older version it is possible that upgrading to the latest version will help.

I'm slightly confused about VA version numbers: your website mentions 2022.4, then 2023.1 but no 2022.6.
We're currently using this version according to VA X system info:
VA_X64.dll file version 10.9.2471.0 built 2022.11.25
DevEnv.exe version 17.4.33603.86 Professional
msenv.dll version 17.0.33603.86
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.19041.1110
Windows 10 10.0 22H2 Build 19045.2728

Should that include the fix or not?

quote:
However if you are already using this version then that fix isn't helping in this situation. Do you have a sense of how many switches in DPI are required to get the icons to disappear? 1, 5, 200? Just trying to get a sense of how easily triggered this is.

After reinstalling VA I switched scaling only a few times, definitely less than 10x, I'd even say it broke after switching from 100% to 125% for the first time.
feline Posted - Apr 27 2023 : 07:27:01 AM
Which version of VA are you using? We fixed a problem that can cause missing toolbar icons in our latest release, 2022.6. So if you are using an older version it is possible that upgrading to the latest version will help.

However if you are already using this version then that fix isn't helping in this situation. Do you have a sense of how many switches in DPI are required to get the icons to disappear? 1, 5, 200? Just trying to get a sense of how easily triggered this is.
lkev Posted - Apr 26 2023 : 12:32:17 PM
Same problem here. Stefan's workaround worked once, but after switching scaling back and forth between 100% and 125%, the button icons are gone again.
This makes the VA toolbar effectively unusable as I regularly switch between working on the notebook screen (at 100%) and a desktop setup with external monitors on 125%.
feline Posted - Jun 30 2022 : 06:29:30 AM
Thank you for the update, all rather strange. I tested with the same versions of Windows, VS2022 and VA, so that seems to confirm its not as simple as setting the DPI scaling with these versions, but doesn't offer any further clues.

Hopefully you won't see this again, but obviously if you do, any clues would be most welcome
stefanr Posted - Jun 29 2022 : 10:45:58 PM
Today I tried it again, but fortunately or unfortunately (depending how you see it) I can't reproduce the problem my self again, even if I additionally delete all Visual Studio image caches in the local app data folder (%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\**\ImageLibrary.cache).

If it happens again, I will update the post.

best, Stefan

P.S. Only for completion my current versions are VS 2022 17.2.5; Windows 10 21H2 19044.1766; Visual Assist 2451

feline Posted - Jun 29 2022 : 09:41:06 AM
Thank you for the clear description. Unfortunately, so far, no sign of the problem.

I have tried this twice, starting from a clean state, VA never installed, fully updated Windows 10, both times. I set the scaling to 113% before starting, both times.

Once I tried installing VA 2443, and loading VS2017, VS2019 and VS2022, all of the icons were shown correctly. I rebooted, and the icons were still correct in all three IDE's. Then upgrade VA to 2451, still no problem with the icons. I tried this since the icons changed between VA 2443 and VA 2051.

Then I went back to the clean base state, again with the scaling set to 113%, and just installed VA 2451, and loaded all three IDE's. No problems, so I rebooted, and again no problems.

I made sure the scaling change had taken effect in Windows before starting any of the tests.

Based on your results I should have seen the problem doing this, shouldn't I?

We are talking about the main IDE toolbar, just below the menu bar aren't we? Just to make sure we are talking about and looking at the same thing.

There is a bug that we are trying to pin down that causes the toolbar icons to be missing, even at 100% scaling, so it is possible you ran into this instead. But if so you managed to fix it with remarkable ease.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000