Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Old Setups not starting

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Christof Schardt Posted - Apr 12 2023 : 08:28:23 AM
I try to downgrade to an old Release 2283. But the Setup is not working: After starting the mouse cursor show activity for some seconds and then silently stops. No message given.
What can be the reason?
How can I install an old release?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - May 12 2023 : 10:28:48 AM
Apologies, you are running into a separate problem here. Thankfully it is easy to fix, but VS2017 and VS2019 require fixing separately, using the same steps.

The first step is to export your default profiles IDE settings, since the fix resets your current settings.� This is done via:

IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

Now you need to close all instances of the IDE and locate the directory where your default profile is stored.� For VS2017 this will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_xxxxx
and for VS2019 this will be:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_xxxxx
where xxxxx is a hash, so its machine specific.� There should only be one directory matching this pattern for each version of Visual Studio.

If you look inside this directory you should see a file called "privateregistry.bin".� You need to delete this file, which will be recreated next time you load Visual Studio. You will either get the default IDE settings or your online synced IDE settings, if you have enabled this option.� So you may well want to import your exported IDE settings, to restore your preferred settings.

When you do so all of your installed extensions will still be installed, but they will be Disabled, so you need to go into the extension manager dialog. For VS2017 this is:

IDE tools menu -> Extensions and Updates...

and for VS2019 this is:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and now Enable your extensions.� This will require an IDE restart to take effect.

At this point Visual Assist should be active and working normally.
DOL Posted - May 12 2023 : 10:11:59 AM
The Compatibility-trick does not work for me. Even though I can now have VA_X_Setup2375_0.exe running for my VS 2017 and 2019, neither has VA menu and tool bars after VA installation completes for both VS 2017 and 2019. The extensions menu item does show VA is installed for both VS 2017 and 2019. Before doing this trick, VA was still available for my VS 2017. Now it is not for either of them. I uninstalled VS 2022 and tried this again, but no luck. I am very disappointed at and regret of following this trick. It ended up worse for me.

Dongning
Christof Schardt Posted - Apr 12 2023 : 3:50:27 PM
Perfect, thank you. The Compatibility-trick made it start and install again.
feline Posted - Apr 12 2023 : 10:45:00 AM
Have you installed a recent build of Visual Studio 2022?� If so then you are running into a bug that causes our older exe installers to crash when they try to work out which versions of Visual Studio you have installed.

To work around this can you please right click on the exe installer, select Properties, and go to the Compatibility tab in the properties dialog.� If you enable "Compatibility mode" and set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 the installer will load and run without any problems.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000