Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VAX sometimes doesn't show suggestion

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ChainofChaos Posted - Aug 23 2021 : 1:58:32 PM
VS2019
Unreal C++

Sometimes VAX doesn't show suggestions on the first launch, and I have to restart visual studio to make it works.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Sep 16 2021 : 11:20:37 AM
Apologies for the slow reply.

When you are having this problem, is VA showing its context and definition fields, which are normally at the top of the editor window, and are where the Alt-M list appears from?

What about VA Outline?

It is almost as if VA was inactive, which is what I am looking to check here. Syntax highlighting is a good start, but clearly its not enough.
ChainofChaos Posted - Sep 01 2021 : 09:41:00 AM
Is there any form of pattern to this problem? Sometimes it works on the first launch, Mostly not.
When you see this if you change files, do you get suggestions in a different file? No, the only thing that works is the syntax highlightning.
Are you getting member listboxes, so listboxes after dot and -> ? No, even the dot doesn't convert to ->
are you seeing tomato icons on any of the listboxes that appear when you are having this problem? No
Do you always load the IDE the same way? Yes, I open visual studio from the unreal engine, wait for VA to finish fully loaded.

I can record the visual studio when the problem occurs if that's gonna help.

feline Posted - Aug 25 2021 : 05:45:58 AM
All of this sounds sensible and normal.

Is there any form of pattern to this problem? When you see this, if you change files, do you get suggestions in a different file? I know you said you have to restart the IDE, I am just wondering if you have tried closing and reloading files as well.

Are you getting member listboxes, so listboxes after dot and -> ?

Assuming you have:

VA Options -> Floating Buttons and Icons -> Denote content from Visual Assist with tomato icons

turned On, are you seeing tomato icons on any of the listboxes that appear when you are having this problem?

Do you always load the IDE the same way? Or do you sometimes load it one way and then sometimes load it another way?

I am really not sure why suggestions would behave like this.
ChainofChaos Posted - Aug 24 2021 : 5:08:34 PM
Yes, I always wait for VA to finish parsing and loading system symbols before I code. The syntax highlighting always showed up and worked.

Does VA show its context and navigation fields at the top of the editor window? Yes
Does the Alt-M list work and show the methods in the current file? Yes
feline Posted - Aug 24 2021 : 07:19:26 AM
Has VA finished parsing? The easy way to check is to see if VA has started to apply its syntax highlighting to your code, assuming you have this turned On.

If syntax highlighting is being applied, when you have focus in the editor, does VA show its context and navigation fields at the top of the editor window? Does the Alt-M list work and show the methods in the current file?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000