Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Suggesstions are committed on dot

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kinstewar Posted - Aug 22 2021 : 07:07:27 AM
VS2019
C#

When I type var name and suggestion list appears then if I type "." a first suggestion is committed but I expect a member list to appear

The docs says there is a list of committing chars in the VS settings but I cant find that

It's definitely VA issue cause it disappears if I turn off VA completely
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 24 2021 : 11:48:28 AM
This is actually being caused by:

case=88596

VA does not understand the parameter you are creating at the start of the Lambda / Linq statement, so it does not know to suggest it. In my test case there was already a variable called "i" so VA knew to suggest "i" in this case, so I wasn't seeing the problem.
Kinstewar Posted - Aug 24 2021 : 09:48:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Apologies, I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about symbols in the editor, in your code, being shown in bold.

I have your settings, thank you for these. Turning on:

VA Options -> Coloring and Attributes -> Show local symbols in bold

Ah, I've always kept it turned off, never used
feline Posted - Aug 24 2021 : 07:16:11 AM
Apologies, I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about symbols in the editor, in your code, being shown in bold.

I have your settings, thank you for these. Turning on:

"i" in my test code isn't shown in bold, but I haven't yet worked out why. It is being shown in bold with my normal settings. I am looking into this.

A temporary solution is to turn Off:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Enable Suggestion Lists
Kinstewar Posted - Aug 23 2021 : 12:10:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline
If you escape the listbox and type the code, does VA show the variable "i" in bold? This assumes you have:

yes I have this option enabled but never get 'i' in listboxes neither bold nor normal
feline Posted - Aug 23 2021 : 09:45:20 AM
OK, so you are writing a C# lambda expression inside the Find function on a List.

Testing the same thing here, I don't get this problem even with VA active.

If you escape the listbox and type the code, does VA show the variable "i" in bold? This assumes you have:

turned On. I am trying to work out if VA understands what is going on here, or if it is confused in this code.

There is a list of characters for committing a listbox, but its a C++ setting, not a C# setting. But it does look like a setting is having an effect.

Can you please export your VA and IDE settings and send them to me:

VA Options -> Performance -> Export Settings
IDE tools menu -> Import and Export Settings -> Export selected environment settings

I can then import them here and see if I can reproduce the problem. Please send me the files via email:

[email protected]

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
Kinstewar Posted - Aug 23 2021 : 08:29:08 AM
Ive captched a video with the issue, take a look https://youtu.be/sbcHMjCLv7M

So I type 'i' then '.' and expect to get 'i.' along with the dropdown with list of members
instead I get 'int.'

and I meant it happens with any variable not only with the ones declared as 'var'
feline Posted - Aug 23 2021 : 07:09:54 AM
I am not really following what you are typing. For the very simple C# code:

var name = "hello world";
var nameLong = "Another hello world";
name|

where | is the caret, when I have just typed "name" I have a listbox open, since I might want "name" or "nameLong" or something else. If I type a dot at this point the listbox is being accepted, but that is reasonable since I have typed a full variable name.

If I disable VA via:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and retype the "name" line and again type the dot, I get the same behaviour.

Can you please explain what you are doing, and what you are expecting to happen?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000