Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Regular freezes of VS

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martin.sliwka Posted - Jun 26 2021 : 09:36:50 AM
Hi all,
after upgrading to VS 16.10 (16.10.2 just now) I am experiencing regular freezes of the Visual Studio. Sometimes it freezes three times a day but sometimes it freezes five times in one hour. It looks like the actual freeze is more likely to happen just after build finishes but I think it does not limit to this situation. After freezing the VS is nonresponsive and displays "Visual studio is busy" notification. VS (devenv.exe) does not consume any CPU when it is frozen. I tried "Analyze Wait Chain" from task manager and it indicated that one thread in devenv.exe is waiting on VaCodeInspectionServer.exe and another thread in devenv.exe is waiting on VaDbMtx.exe. Disabling Code Inspection in VA did not resolve the issue and frozen devenv.exe was still waiting on VaCodeInspectionServer.exe (why?) and VaDbMtx.exe. Disabling the whole VA on the other hand seems to help, but my productivity is badly reduced.

License: Standard (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) Support ends 2022.01.28
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2406.0 built 2021.04.23
DevEnv.exe version 16.10.31410.357 Professional
msenv.dll version 16.0.31410.357
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.19041.844
Windows 10 10.0 2009 Build 19043.1081
16 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1250, 0x405

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\NETFXSDK\4.8\Include\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.18362.0\cppwinrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.18362.0\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.18362.0\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.18362.0\um;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.18362.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\UnitTest\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.18362.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Auxiliary\VS\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.29.30037\atlmfc\src\mfc;

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 12 2023 : 10:11:47 AM
No problem, sometimes it takes time to look at these things.

The problem *should* have been fixed a while ago with a Visual Studio update, which suggests that you are seeing a different trigger. If so, then a test profile may fix the problem, but its one of those things that will have to be tested, and only time will tell.
bins Posted - Oct 11 2023 : 5:04:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Thank you for the update, I am glad that has helped. Still, you should not need to do this, I thought this problem had been fixed a while ago.

If you are interested, we could try making a test profile to see if the problem is somehow IDE profile specific. If you want to try this can you first download the VS2022 specific installer for Visual Assist from ...

Sorry only just seen this - I'll give this a go when I get a spare moment.

Rob
feline Posted - Oct 03 2023 : 3:43:42 PM
Thank you for the update, I am glad that has helped. Still, you should not need to do this, I thought this problem had been fixed a while ago.

If you are interested, we could try making a test profile to see if the problem is somehow IDE profile specific. If you want to try this can you first download the VS2022 specific installer for Visual Assist from:

https://downloadfiles.idera.com/WholeTomato/VA_X_Setup2502_0_x64.vsix

Next you will need extra details about the IDE install to create a test profile. To get these details, please open a Windows command prompt window, and inside the window run the command:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe"

There will be a set of lines for each different version of Visual Studio that you have installed. For the version you want to install into, you want the "productPath", "dispalyName" and "installationVersion" lines, e.g.

productPath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
displayName: Visual Studio Community 2022
installationVersion: 17.4.33213.308

You can then use the information from these three lines to make sure that the following command has the correct command line parameters. The values are:

/appidname: = displayName:
/appidinstallpath: = productPath:
/skuVersion: = installationVersion:

The "/skuName:" value is one of "Community / Pro / Enterprise", note for the Professional version it is "Pro", not the expected "Professional".

The working command, for VS2022, using the values above, is - split into lines to make it easier to read and edit:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe"
/appidinstallpath:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
/skuName:Community
/appidname:"Visual Studio Community 2022"
/skuVersion:17.4.33213.308
/rootSuffix:"VATest" "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads\VA_X_Setup2502_0_x64.vsix"

The "rootSuffix" is the name of the test profile you want to install to, and this will be created if it does not already exist. The final parameter is the path of the VSIX installer for Visual Assist that you want to install. Once you have the command set up, the only parts you should need to edit are the skuVersion and the path to the VSIX file, can you please close all instances of Visual Studio and run this command.

Running this command installs VA into the test profile, but it does not load the test profile. If you created the test profile by installing VA, when you run the test profile it will be using the default IDE settings, without asking you which settings you want to use.

To now load the test profile you use the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 and VS2022 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.
bins Posted - Oct 03 2023 : 07:02:34 AM
Ok so far disabling the IDE as per the instructions seems to be sufficient

Thanks
Rob
feline Posted - Oct 02 2023 : 08:01:52 AM
First can you please check the option:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database = True

which is the normal way to disable IDE intellisense.

Can you please try uninstalling VA, via the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

which will require an IDE restart to take effect. You can then download and install a slightly older version of VA from this page:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404

to see if this helps. VA build 2023.4, which is "VA_X_Setup2500_0.exe" is the previous version. Please don't go any earlier though, since the earlier versions won't work correctly with VS2022 version 17.7.0 and above, which is what you are running.
bins Posted - Oct 02 2023 : 06:30:13 AM
Since installing the latest VA into vs2022 I'm also seeing these freezes at then end of a build, with the same 2 processes in the wait chain for devenv.exe

I also have intellisense turned off ( I think )

My info is below

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022
Version 17.7.4
VisualStudio.17.Release/17.7.4+34031.279
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.09037

Installed Version: Community

Visual C++ 2022 00482-90000-00000-AA771
Microsoft Visual C++ 2022

Visual Assist 10.9.2502.0

Rob
feline Posted - Sep 18 2023 : 05:43:14 AM
Can you please try disabling IDE intellisense and see if this has any effect?

I am not aware of any current reports of freezes like this. If disabling IDE intellisense works I would suggest turning IDE intellisense back on again if you miss it, and triggering an IDE intellisense database rebuild, to see if this helps:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Recreate Database = True

When you get these freezes are you seeing a spike in CPU usage?
ETA76 Posted - Sep 18 2023 : 04:35:31 AM
Did all freezes get resolved by disabling intellisense?
I have the same problem, with large solution of about 200 projects.

Other colleagues with same PC and same solution don't have the problem, so it could be installation dependent.

I am running 16.11.30

Created the VATest profile, but I did not manage to install VisualAssist, since the "Manage extensions" just downloads an installer. Which does not seems to install the extension for the new profile when run.

Removing this file, and some other folders with cached data seems to solve it:
https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=16598#67435
feline Posted - Aug 18 2021 : 07:01:09 AM
Thank you for confirming this. Microsoft fixed a bug in VS2019 version 16.11 that was causing a lot of these performance problems, but not quite all of them.
Woody Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 1:45:17 PM
I can confirm I had no freeze since I've started using 16.11 previews (now official 16.11.1)
feline Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 11:15:46 AM
Martin, do you have much code in C#?

Looking at one of your dump files, the IDE is waiting on a thread that is doing a lot with Microsoft Code Analysis, without any sign of VA in this particular thread.

We have had another user who reported major performance problems that were fixed by disabling IDE Code Analysis for C#, as explained here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/code-quality/disable-code-analysis?view=vs-2019

can you please also try this, and see if it makes any difference for you?
feline Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 11:08:58 AM
Apologies for this, the new version of Visual Studio 2019 has fixed a very similar issue for several of our users.

We have recently pinned down a memory leak in VA, which can happen when you change configurations:

IDE Build menu -> Configuration Manager...

is this something you do often? Or perhaps something that happens as part of your build process?

I see I have asked about the memory usage before, but its worth mentioning, since we now know the trigger for this memory leak.

Have you ever seen any form of pattern or trigger to this hang?

Looking at the dump file you sent, it looks like you have another couple of extensions installed. Partly to test this, can you please close all instances of the IDE and then run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

this will create and load a new, default profile for Visual Studio, so you will be asked which basic settings you want to use, and you should only have the standard, default IDE extensions installed. Visual Assist will not be installed into this profile, so you will need to go into the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

and install Visual Assist from the online extension store, to install VA for this test profile.

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

Do you see the same problem with the test profile, with just the default extensions and VA installed? I am assuming the problem triggers relatively quickly / easily, so it won't take to long to tell if it is happening or not.
martin.sliwka Posted - Aug 17 2021 : 07:58:23 AM
Upgrading VS to 16.11.1 did not help. VS froze right after the very first rebuild after the upgrade. Please note that all of my freezes are permanent and I have to kill VS through Task Manager.
feline Posted - Jul 22 2021 : 09:56:50 AM
We have had another user report that preview version 16.11 fixes this problem, so this looks like the solution. Hopefully this version, and this fix will be out of preview soon.
Francois Posted - Jul 22 2021 : 08:10:33 AM
16.10.4 do not fix the issue for me. But the 16.11 Preview seems better (just testing since few hours).
The VA X support report me that it's a Visual Studio bug: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/t/VS-with-latest-VisualAssist-hangs-consta/1472972
zsmolnar Posted - Jul 22 2021 : 07:30:53 AM
I updated to 16.10.4 (which is the latest official non-preview release now), and that seems to have fixed the hangs for me.
feline Posted - Jul 21 2021 : 04:34:26 AM
Would you be able to try installing Visual Studio 2019 version 16.11 Preview:

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/preview/

You can install the preview along side your current install of Visual Studio 2019, so you are not forced to rely only on the preview version.

We have one user who has reported that this has helped a great deal, and Microsoft think that they may have fixed a problem related to this in the preview. Unfortunately without being able to reproduce the problem ourselves we cannot test this directly.
zsmolnar Posted - Jul 21 2021 : 03:54:28 AM
The same happens to me. I can 100% repro these ~30 second freezes by opening one of our solutions while a few other VS instances are active. All of them become unresponsive for ~30 seconds.

I'm happy to provide any diagnostics or test speculative fixes.
Francois Posted - Jul 21 2021 : 03:36:17 AM
I confirm that it's a nightmare with Visual Assist X 10.9.2406.0 and Visual Studio 16.10.x and solution/project with C++ code only.
Each day, I have multiple freezes of VS IDE. And If I have multiple instance of Visual Studio opened (which happens very often), a freeze in one VS instance, often lead to freeze all Visual Studio instances.
I have to kill all instances to be able to work again. And very often, just open a solution (containing lot of projects and files) lead to a freeze. It seems to happens when few files are already open inside the solution "session".

In order to be able to work, I have disabled Visual Assist plugin :(. But I miss so many feature, that it's very annoying.

Just hope that a new version (even Beta version), will be available soon to fix that problem.
feline Posted - Jul 15 2021 : 11:47:37 AM
I have the dump files, many thanks both Woody and martin, and I have asked our developers about this. Hopefully it will help to shed some light on the problem here.
martin.sliwka Posted - Jul 15 2021 : 09:12:24 AM
I apologize for the delay but I was on vacation.

Anyway I managed to capture two sets of memory dumps of hung VS (and some auxiliary processes) using Task Manager. You can download them using https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoUsQ2Ca5kakgvwTdL41WY15ltE5Kg?e=tIyxlh. As dumps can contain I sent the password to feline but if someone is interested to look at them please leave me a message.

First set is from VS 16.10.2 and the second one is from 16.10.3. I see no difference in behavior�between these two versions. Also neither disabling IntelliSense nor Debug Assistance helped with the problem.
Woody Posted - Jul 15 2021 : 04:24:20 AM
Unity is really using C# for game development scripting. But some studios have access to the Unity engine source code itself that is mostly C/C++ either for easier debugging or for their own changes/optimizations.
Anyway, today my VS2019 froze for about 8 minutes. During that time I've made two dumps through Task Manager after about 1 minute and after 6 minutes.
I've compressed and uploaded the first one here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EhIOXz7riJBOQnE_zMvJgGMgFud84JiS/view?usp=sharing

My Visual Studio Community 2019 is version 16.10.2 and Visual Assist is version 10.9.2382.0
Hope it helps.
Regards,
Tomas
feline Posted - Jul 13 2021 : 08:27:19 AM
I didn't know that Unity used C/C++. Then again I know virtually nothing about Unity, only that it "uses" C#.

Can you please try and capture a mini dump of "devenv.exe" when you are seeing this problem? This will allow us to get a better sense of what VA is doing during the problem.

If you are not sure how to do this, this page explains:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W303

Since dump files tend to be large, if you don't have an easy host to upload the file, I can email you details of our FTP server, if that helps, for uploading the dump file.
Woody Posted - Jul 12 2021 : 07:41:15 AM
You need to download the whole capture.sleepy (it's a renamed ZIP archive) instead of downloading internal packed text files. Once you use the link I posted there is a download icon in the upper right corner.
I'm pretty sure it's the same issue. C# programmers probably don't need VA installed. I'm primarily a C/C++ programmer, working with VA for years, currently switching between a Unity C# SLN and Unity C/C++ engine source SLN, often having both opened at the same time. If VA has really an external exe, maybe it's the C/C++ part making VA stuck, so the C# instance can't use it too. I will give your other instructions a try.
feline Posted - Jul 09 2021 : 10:38:27 AM
Are you using this: https://github.com/VerySleepy/verysleepy

to generate these logs? When I look at the text files directly I am not seeing much that makes sense.

If you have "Windows Performance Recorder" installed, would you be able to grab a log with this please? This gives a fairly detailed sense of what is going wrong, and I already have some other logs in this format to compare this to.

As a test, can you please close all instances of the IDE, and then run "regedit.exe", and set the value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Whole Tomato\Visual Assist X\VANet16\ForceVcpkgInclude = 00

you need to edit the registry while the IDE is closed, since VA saves out its settings on exit, so if you have any instances open, they will overwrite your edit.

I don't know if this will help in your situation, but it might do so.� If this does help it could cause VA to miss some C++ include directories, so if it does, I will look at this with you as well.

So far no one has reported a problem like this with a C# solution, only C++ solutions, so I honestly don't know if you are running into the same problem or a different one that just looks similar.
Woody Posted - Jul 09 2021 : 04:38:31 AM
Hey guys,
I have exactly the same issue since the VS2019 16.10.0 major update. It's in a C# project for Unity 2020.2.7f1 and also in C/C++ source code of the engine itself. I have disabled all other extensions.
I was trying to profile the devenv.exe using Very Sleepy CS
Results are available here:https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gn3xETxvB8TgD2LW_Se2qABoXl9MDhgx/view?usp=sharing
A screenshot of the worst offender (compressed to 100KB JPG )

Regards,
Tomas
feline Posted - Jul 02 2021 : 07:57:01 AM
When you have IDE intellisense enabled, if the IDE intellisense cannot produce a listbox, then VA will step in and produce one its self, even though the IDE intellisense has priority. So its certainly possible that you have code that the IDE understands better than VA does. Plus if disabling IDE intellisense isn't helping, then enabling it again should not be a problem at all.

If you can find any specific examples where VA should be producing a listbox, but isn't, then I would be interested in looking at them. It's possible its simply a different problem, but if there is code VA is struggling to understand then that could be a factor. But since parsing seems to be finished, since colouring is being applied, it doesn't sound like the problem is VA never finishes parsing.

It's good news that the hangs have stopped for now. Having an instance of devenv.exe running in the background that you don't know is there could be a factor, if it is somehow consuming significant resources.

We are actively looking into these performance problems, but so far they are proving very hard to reproduce internally, which is obviously making this harder.
martin.sliwka Posted - Jul 01 2021 : 6:58:50 PM
When I started VS on Jun 28th there were two instances of devenv.exe (and only one visible VS). But when I tried it now, only one instance of devenv.exe remained running. Anyway I use two instances of VS occasionally but described issues happen even with one instance of VS. As to when sources get colored I think everything works as usual. I didn't notice any other irregularities in performance or reliability of VA except for freezing.

The more interesting thing is that for the last few days I haven't experienced any hangs. But it looks like VA suggestions are working even worse than normal. Is VA getting some information from IntelliSense (that is disabled)?

I will try to enable some of the options I disabled recently, will watch for problems and will generate dump / logs eventually.
feline Posted - Jun 30 2021 : 11:58:37 AM
Discussing with edl_si via email.

Martin, when you are working with more than one instance of the IDE, does the first instance get time for VA to finish parsing before you load the second instance? Assuming you have VA's syntax highlighting enabled, this is only applied once VA has finished parsing, so knows how to colour your symbols.

I am just wondering if having both instances parsing a lot of code at the same time is a factor, but even if it was, it should not hang the IDE, just slow it down a bit at most.
edl_si Posted - Jun 29 2021 : 2:57:35 PM
Sent you a mail - btw that was with Intellisense disabled this time, still seems to be happening unfortunately

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000