Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Navigation bar issues when using ClipX

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
dcastonguay Posted - Oct 27 2016 : 10:00:07 PM
Hello,

I know this is a long shot, but maybe there is something you guys can do on your side. I'm using ClipX (see http://bluemars.org/clipx) as my global clipboard manager, and I've noticed issues with the Visual Assist navigation bar in C++ code (I don't know for C# or other languages).

When ClipX is running, when using Alt + M to focus the navigation bar then typing some text in it, it takes considerably more time than usual for the results to be filtered; this operation is instantaneous when ClipX is not running.

Since ClipX seems to be pretty ancient and not maintained anymore, I was wondering if there was something you could do to fix the issue in Visual Assist itself. I know I could simply change clipboard managing tools, but I've grown attached to ClipX, and none of the others I've tried have satisfied me (yet).

The problem started occurring when I migrated to Windows 10 (from 7) and VS2015 (from 2012). I can't say which one caused the problem.

Here's my system information, if it helps:

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2114.0 built 2016.10.15
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Professional
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.10586.589
Windows 10 10.0 Build 10586

Thanks!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Aug 14 2019 : 10:22:41 AM
I don't know if you have already tried it or not, but I use AceText:

https://www.acetext.com/

which does clipboard history, and also global snippets as well. I don't see any problems running this along side VA, and it is currently supported.
yothsoggoth Posted - Aug 13 2019 : 12:37:56 PM
Thanks for the update!

I didn't know about the now Windows-built-in clipboard history - I'll definitely look into that.
Unfortunately at work at least, I can't currently update to 1809 or above, so I'll have to stick with ClipX for the time being.
accord Posted - Aug 12 2019 : 5:14:28 PM
I have added your observations to the case, thank you.

BTW, are you aware that Windows 10 version 1809 and up has built in keyboard history feature? Search for "Clipboard" in the start menu and select "Clipboard Settings". If you enable it, you can then use Windows Key + V to trigger the menu.

This can be a workaround, providing you uninstall Clip-X.
Clip-X doesn't seem to be supported anymore - the latest stable version is from 2005.
yothsoggoth Posted - Aug 12 2019 : 1:26:18 PM
I appreciate this is probably a long-since forgotten issue - but I also have this problem and wanted to check if there's any update or known workarounds.

Funnily enough, I had no idea it was related to ClipX until I stumbled across this post.

The GIFs above pretty much exactly describe the problem I'm seeing.
Additionally, to provide some more information:

Tested with the following functions:

void Example100() {}
void Example101() {}
void Example507() {}
void Example508() {}
void SomethingDifferent() {}

- In some cases there seems to be a number of characters that will always respond for each symbol name.
In my example searching for "SomethingDifferent()", when I reach the 'n' character, the filter will update and show only my method (which is the only one that matches).
It doesn't matter how long I take to type this. If I wait 5 seconds between keypresses, it still updates at the same point.
However it isn't the same number of characters for each search. Typing "example507" doesn't filter the list at all.

- Moving the mouse causes it to respond instantly.
For example, if I type "example5" nothing happens and I'm still looking at the full list.
If I then move the mouse cursor without typing anything else or clicking, the list updates to show "Example507()" and "Example508()".

It's a shame, because being able to quickly navigate to functions definitions can be incredibly effective - but having to stop and move the mouse really slows things down.
accord Posted - Nov 05 2016 : 8:20:05 PM
Thank you for the details, I have added this info to the case as a comment.
dcastonguay Posted - Nov 04 2016 : 3:36:43 PM
Hello again,

I wanted to let you know one of my colleagues noticed something that may help pinpoint the problem: when the navigation bar refresh issue occurs, merely moving the mouse seems to solve the problem! Since I am primarily a keyboard user and rarely use the mouse (especially when using the nav bar), I never noticed that.

I hope it helps!
accord Posted - Nov 01 2016 : 5:50:16 PM
Thank you for the additional info, I have put in a bug report for this:

case=101063
dcastonguay Posted - Nov 01 2016 : 5:13:52 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

- How many methods do you have in a file when in happens?
-> I've tested in a completely new project, with a dummy class with methods Method01 through Method10, and I managed to make the problem occur, although it doesn't happen all the time...

- Does it depend on the file size?
-> I do believe the bigger the file, the stronger the problem, but I might be wrong (i.e. it might also be the "natural" load on the system).

- Does the filtering or the typing is slow?
-> It is the filtering the slows down; it takes a longer time to kick in.

- I tried the beta from 2008. Which version are you using?
-> I have tested with the latest stable x86 (1.0.3.8) and the latest beta x64 (1.0.3.9 beta 7) versions of ClipX, both giving the same result.

- Can you please try turning off Visual Assist's multiple clipboards to see if it helps?
VA Options -> Editor -> Display paste menu with 10 items

-> I had already turned off that option.

- Can you reproduce the problem with any other VA feature? What about Open file in solution? (Alt+Shift+O)
-> I have not seen the issue arise in the Open File in Solution dialog (otherwise, I would have complained a lot sooner, as it is the feature I use the most :) ). I have not seen this happen anywhere else, either, although I don't use a lot of features other than Open File, the Nav Bar and Go To.

- Does it depends on how you open the menu (e.g. mouse vs. alt+m)
-> The problem also arises when clicking the dropdown triangle or clicking directly in the navigation bar.

I have made some .gif animations that further illsutrate the problem (uploaded to Gliphy, because I couldn't upload them directly here...):

> With ClipX:

You can clearly see how unreactive the filtering is.

> Without ClipX:

This works like a charm.

Thank you for looking into this!
accord Posted - Nov 01 2016 : 4:26:48 PM
I've installed ClipX on Windows 10 with VS2015 update 3 and VA 2114, but didn't see any noticeable change.

- How many methods do you have in a file when in happens?
- Does it depend on the file size?
- Does the filtering or the typing is slow?
- I tried the beta from 2008. Which version are you using?
- Can you please try turning off Visual Assist's multiple clipboards to see if it helps?
VA Options -> Editor -> Display paste menu with 10 items
- Can you reproduce the problem with any other VA feature? What about Open file in solution? (Alt+Shift+O)
- Does it depends on how you open the menu (e.g. mouse vs. alt+m)

I've discussed this with developers, but we didn't have any idea what might have caused this with alt+m.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000