Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Extensions > VAssist menu

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jschroedl Posted - Feb 19 2019 : 10:16:58 AM
In the VS 2019 Preview 3, I noticed that the Visual Assist menu is no longer a top-level menu. Rather, it's under Extensions > VAssistX. yuck. I assume VS imposed this upon you. Do you think you'll be able to get it back to being a top-level menu?

I will try to customize the menus and see if I can move it but wanted to let you know that it's not nice to get buried an extra level deep. Probably preaching to the choir here...

7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Feb 20 2019 : 10:46:58 AM
People don't need title bars on a phone app, why would they need them on a desktop application?

<just in case that wasn't clear, that was intended as extreme sarcasm>
TheQwertiest Posted - Feb 20 2019 : 04:07:21 AM
"my read of his response is that if enough people don't complain in 90 days, the change will stay."

Worse than that, even if there are complains, it would not guarantee anything...
E.g. https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/idea/381901/do-not-remove-title-bar-from-visual-studio-2019.html , it's the 4th most voted `feature` and it was there since Preview 1. Instead of addressing the user feedback, they actually removed the option to restore the previous behaviour in Preview 2 (and disabled the hacks that could bring it back in Preview 3)...

PS: Sorry for the offtopic
sean Posted - Feb 19 2019 : 6:07:03 PM
Interesting comment from Mads in that one -- my read of his response is that if enough people don't complain in 90 days, the change will stay.
jschroedl Posted - Feb 19 2019 : 2:43:45 PM
I voted on that item though it's specifically complaining about mapping commands. I also found this one which is the report that the whole menu change is a disaster: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/idea/435711/get-rid-of-new-extensions-menu.html
sean Posted - Feb 19 2019 : 12:47:26 PM
Make sure to let the VS team know how you feel by using the Feedback | Report a problem command in the preview.

Also, there are bugs caused by what they did:
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/436356/unable-to-distinguish-between-similarly-named-comm.html

We removed our VAssistX | Help | Keyboard Shortcuts command in VS2019 because of that change.
ChrisG Posted - Feb 19 2019 : 11:46:13 AM
> Do you think you'll be able to get it back to being a top-level menu?

It's likely possible through some form of menu hack but I don't know of any plans to do so. It's unfortunate!
jschroedl Posted - Feb 19 2019 : 10:20:55 AM
Well, I don't see any easy way in the VS menu customization to move this back to a top-level menu. If anything, it looks like I would need to manually try to rebuild the entire menu as a new menu and insert various items from the Extensions command list.

Wow, Microsoft really screwed us here.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000