Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS messes up with my input

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pedro123a Posted - Feb 28 2018 : 1:16:41 PM
Hi,

can you please stop VA from messing with what I enter.
I enter slowly letter by letter in a new line exactly these chars:

#include <string>

if I have VA enabled I end up with this mess:

#include <string.h>

why is it doing all these random fixups. In one project it constantly was changing `i` into `I`. Personally I cannot use VS without VA, but for some reason I start to hate these issues commit from VA more and more.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeff Posted - Jul 13 2018 : 6:24:25 PM
case=116843 is implemented in build 2283.

enable auto-reload via registry:
https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W826
feline Posted - Jul 04 2018 : 10:05:53 AM
There is a registry key to stop this message box from appearing:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W826

but please be aware that unless the file is reloaded, VA will be inactive in the file, due to the way it is being loaded. We are aiming to improve this setting to that VA can be told to automatically reload the file without prompting you in the next release.

case=116843
pedro123a Posted - Jun 30 2018 : 10:20:19 PM
I don't recall what was the reason in the first place VA added that dialog box to reopen file, but it's so freaking annoying that I totally don't want to ever see it. I don't care what the reason is. All cmake projects that use relative paths will end up with these weird unix paths and each file you try to open in VS triggers that box.
How do I kill it?
feline Posted - May 22 2018 : 3:12:39 PM
I have the email, case=116622
feline Posted - May 22 2018 : 3:11:49 PM
The dialog you are seeing in your screen shot is the fix. Due to the way the file was opened, VA will have to re-open the file normally to be able to work normally. Are you seeing this dialog a lot?
pedro123a Posted - May 22 2018 : 2:42:07 PM
Request via that form was sent.
I have latest VA and I think I've read somewhere that this bug is fixed, while I'm still getting it: https://image.ibb.co/h3pm5o/image.png
Basically I get some warnings from boost headers, when I press F4 to open it in VS I get that dialog box popup from VA asking to modify a file.

feline Posted - May 19 2018 : 06:13:52 AM
For flood control, if you want we can discuss this via email instead, there won't be any problems sending multiple email replies to the same case number. If this sounds helpful you can start the conversation via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

please include this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.
feline Posted - May 19 2018 : 06:12:30 AM
Is there any chance of getting a copy of a solution that you are working on that shows these problems, or even just some of these problems, so I can try to reproduce this here? I appreciate this is often not possible, but its worth asking on the off chance. You could send us something privately that would only be used for testing this problem.

For your last image, with alt-g on "results", if you do a Find References on "results" what happens? What sort of references is VA finding?

If you show VA Outline for the current file, does the outline look correct for this file, or does it look wrong? Clearly VA is confused here, but I am having problems pinning down why and what is going wrong here.
pedro123a Posted - May 18 2018 : 11:06:26 PM
This is totally killing me. How can it be possibly this bad?!

https://image.ibb.co/iwVqao/image.png

That's the function parameter name, how could it possibly show me these garbage suggestions?! Pay attention to line numbers in that screenshot. It doesn't even offer correct which should have been HttpClientTest.cpp:327

(this isn't the message that was lost as indicated by previous post. That message had something else and is lost now).
pedro123a Posted - May 18 2018 : 11:01:07 PM
please fix flood control on the forum. My last message was lost because of that.
pedro123a Posted - May 18 2018 : 10:59:10 PM
> At least one bit of good news, the message about VA not being able to edit the file should be fixed in our latest release, 2270:

I'm fairly sure that I've seen again that dialog right after I updated to 2270 today :)
Not sure if that dialog was from VS or from VS itself, but it was about readonly something.

pedro123a Posted - May 18 2018 : 10:56:07 PM
One more complete WTF:
https://image.ibb.co/kMzGFo/image.png

alt+G on result from line 347 jumps me to some random file inside libpng that happens to have this code:

png_fixed_point result;

Complete nonsense. Also, this happens without offering alternatives, like that's the only possible place where that var can be defined.
feline Posted - May 14 2018 : 10:13:34 AM
If you look in the VA Options dialog, under Enhanced Listboxes, there are three check boxes for "Commit selections with:". If you uncheck only "Additional characters" then a listbox should not be accepted with anything other than Tab or Enter.
pedro123a Posted - May 14 2018 : 09:14:09 AM
> Be sure the following is unchecked:

which ones?
Jeff Posted - May 12 2018 : 6:12:14 PM
Pedro:
Be sure the following is unchecked:

VA Options | Enhanced Listboxes | Commit selection with | Additional characters
feline Posted - May 12 2018 : 09:15:28 AM
Apologies for not explaining, the VA Context and Definition fields are normally at the top of the editor window, and are where the Alt-m list appears from. They show VA's understanding of the current caret position. So if VA is showing the wrong information for the current symbol, this will show up here, and it is quicker and easier to just move the caret around the file to see which symbols VA understands, and which it is confused about, than it is to use and check alt-g on each of them in turn.

You are having a lot of problems here, which is not how things are supposed to work, but so far I have not been able to reproduce or study these problems here, which isn't helping.

At least one bit of good news, the message about VA not being able to edit the file should be fixed in our latest release, 2270:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp
pedro123a Posted - May 11 2018 : 6:54:54 PM
> VA Options -> Floating Buttons and Icons -> Denote content from Visual Assist with tomato icons

both are enabled.

> What is shown in the VA Context and Definition fields for "server" both on this line, and the line above, where "server" is declared?

I have no idea what's "VA Context and Definition". I tried to find it, don't see where it is.

For the server.listen it's very consistently totally wrong stuff. Just like one of those Alg+G that always leads to that total BS namespace x = ... that I posted.

I get that i->I r->R all the time. It's incredibly irritating and I've always had all types off issues like that, I just got used to undo and redo, and I'm absolutely sure that nobody simple bothered to stop right there in the middle of trying to type a loop and report a bug on VA (which requires lots of effort by the way). I got so fed up by all the bugs that I finally decided to report it as the issues seems to stay forever. Every now and then when I get these irritating bugs from VA I come back to post more stuff.

This time I have this problem. I compile code, I get error message in output. I press F4 to open the file. VS open the file, but I get that stupid dialog from VA:

https://image.ibb.co/jh5vBJ/image.png

apologies if I've already reported this one. But sometimes VA gets stuck in some weird mode that I literally see random irritating issues every couple of minutes coming from VA.

feline Posted - Apr 12 2018 : 12:40:48 PM
Is it worth turning off suggestions, so you simply get fewer VA listboxes, and hopefully fewer problems?

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Enable Suggestion Lists

I can see that things are going wrong here, but like you, I am confused by the random nature of these problems. But something needs doing about all of this, we just need somewhere to start.
feline Posted - Apr 12 2018 : 12:10:44 PM
For the "server.listen" tooltip vs alt-g, do you have:

VA Options -> Floating Buttons and Icons -> Denote content from Visual Assist with tomato icons

turned On or Off? I am trying to work out if this is an IDE tooltip or a VA tooltip. If this is an IDE tooltip, then this suggests the IDE understands what is going on, but VA does not. What is shown in the VA Context and Definition fields for "server" both on this line, and the line above, where "server" is declared?

This will tell us something about what VA thinks is going on here.

For i being converted to I, mostly I am confused to be honest. It makes sense that there is no listbox when defining the variable "i" at the start of the for loop statement, since when VA thinks you are declaring a new variable, it does not offer suggestions by default.

The listbox I am seeing in the movie has "int" as the selected item, so if this is happening because the listbox is being suggested then "i" should be becoming "int", not "I".

The listbox in your screen shot shows a listbox with "I" as the selected item, so in this case the listbox at least explains why "i" might be becoming "I".
pedro123a Posted - Apr 11 2018 : 10:01:30 PM
Can you do something about it? This **** is so annoying that I cannot even use VA. 30 seconds after I was done wasting time with the i-loop I get it again:

https://image.ibb.co/jdLOSH/image.png

This time it's define R that comes from 3 different sources according to Alt-G: sha256.c (from curl), hb-ot-shape-complex-arabic-table.hh/ hb-ot-shape-complex-use-table.cc from harfbuzz
pedro123a Posted - Apr 11 2018 : 9:11:58 PM
fyi, here's video of the extremely annoying i -> I conversion. https://youtu.be/1mr_YhQ3v_4
I updated to latest VA, deleted all ipch folders and vc db files, in VA I rebuild db and restarted VS and I get exactly the same problem in my project. Then I created empty ConsoleApplication project in VS and there I do not get the problem. Even when I added to the console app project md5.c that defines that 'I' and VA stuffs in every place where I want to use 'i' I did not see that behavior in simple console project. Somehow VA doesn't not behave consistently and something else breaks it.

I changed that CloseSuggestionListOnExactMatch to 01 and I still get that "for (int i=0; I<)"
See screenshot, just before I press '<' and when I type '<' VA changes i to I. https://image.ibb.co/gGu07H/image.png

Interestingly, in the ConsoleApp I even get opposite behavior. If I type "for (int i=0; I)" then I'm offered correction to i. However, pressing '<' or ';' does not accept suggestion the way it does in real project. Complete nonsense. I don't understand what could possibly be the a reason of such inconsistent behavior. There is one plugin that I use and I believe that it's hopelessly broken software: p4vs plugin. In that real project p4vs plugin is used, however I tried to disable it temporarily and it doesn't affect the I problem.
pedro123a Posted - Apr 11 2018 : 2:58:08 PM
Sorry for late reply, I'll check if I can submit something. I'll also update to latest VA first and see if I have the errors.
Meanwhile, there are others from he same series that do not make sense. This is a piece of code in question, and when I hover over `server.listen` I get correct tooltip:
https://image.ibb.co/c91Arc/image.png

When I Alt+G however I get nonsense:
https://image.ibb.co/gqxiBc/image.png

(not sure if I already mentioned it, but it would be super helpful to be able to post images here inline, especially using ctrl+v without creating files, just like imgbb.com allows).
feline Posted - Mar 23 2018 : 06:17:04 AM
For the alt-g on a line requiring a semi-colon at the end, is there any chance of getting a copy of the code file for testing purposes? I understand this is often not possible, but it's worth asking on the off chance.

If there is a chance files can be submitted privately via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

please include this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Agreed, the behaviour here does not make any sense. Is this from anything public that I can download and test here, to try to reproduce?

I notice that there is underlining in the first screen shot, so something, the IDE or VA, is slightly confused by the code, or just thinks there is a missing include line. I have no idea if this is a factor or not though.

There is no doubt that you are encountering problems and bugs, I just wish I could more easily reproduce some of these here, to put in good bug reports for them. VA should not be this unreliable, but clearly something is going wrong here.
pedro123a Posted - Mar 22 2018 : 2:30:49 PM
Another issue with similar wtf: https://image.ibb.co/dVOREc/image.png

when i take that second option it opens me this: https://image.ibb.co/fgvOuc/image.png complete WTF (line is correct, but that suggestion is complete nonsense).

There should have been there IMO two options: class itself and ctor and ctor should have been first options IMO in that context (and possibly, it should have been only option).
pedro123a Posted - Mar 22 2018 : 2:29:04 PM
That code is from non-public code. It includes lots of stuff (from precompiled header that pulls in windows.h, std and boost). In my case it's absolutely clearly that if a line isn't valid c++ (e.g. not completed) then I get this nonsense broken result. The moment when I complete result is correct.
feline Posted - Mar 20 2018 : 09:35:51 AM
I have not checked out "md5.c" for any of my tests yet, so I may not be testing "i" being converted to "I" with the right code files. I am happy to try a different test, if you can give me some instructions on what test to set up and run to try and reproduce this problem?

For the alt-g list, your screen shot very clearly shows the problem, but with a pair of simple tests I cannot reproduce this problem here so far. In a .h file I have defined the class:

class simpleFelineTestClass
{
public:
	simpleFelineTestClass *start(const char* pszMessage) const;
	simpleFelineTestClass *end(const char* pszMessage) const;
};

and then in the matching .cpp file I have the tests:

void testingAltGNoSemiColon()
{
	simpleFelineTestClass res;
	// very simple test case, alt-g works correctly here for both "end" calls
	if (1 > 0)
		res.end("file deleted");
	else
		res.end("error")

// trying for Lamdba syntax test
	// alt-g on both calls to "end" works here as well
	auto glambda = [](auto a, auto&& b) {
		if (a < b)
			res.end("file deleted");
		else
			res.end("error")
		return  a < b;
	};
}

if I grab the correct directory tree from Git, will I be able to test the file you are using when you have this alt-g problem, to see if I can reproduce it here? It's clearly going wrong, but I don't know what the trigger for the problem is. Its not quite as simple as no semi-colon, something else has to be happening as well.
pedro123a Posted - Mar 19 2018 : 5:42:48 PM
when I had the I problem Alt+G would open md5.c that has defines for I, when I "fixed" md5.c not to have these defines, then VA would lead me rapidjson include where that suggestion doesn't even make sense.

Another annoying issue with VA is that Alt+G constantly offers me totally bogus suggestions: https://i.imgur.com/1pXPC3m.png
I have lambda with two params, and RBX::HttpServerResponse is a simple class, with no inheritance, no template mess. Why on earth would VA offer me some random instances where end() method exists?!
It seems that there is a clear way to repro this issue where VA offers you everything possible. As you see from screenshot I didn't even complete yet the line, but I wanted to Alt+G to the function to see it. Appears that if I complete the line so that there is no compilation error, then Alt+G will show 2 suggestions in .h and .cpp file of this function. On that screenshot as you see trailing semicolon is still missing, without it I get that giant list of bogus suggestions, with semicolon present I get proper suggestions. IMO VA should be able to show correct function and proper suggestions when I have only this on the line: res.end
At this time Alt+G should offer proper suggestions. With F12 for example it doesn't work with just res.end, but when I have res.end() then F12 already works. If I have res.en with cursor positioned at the end of ".en" and press Ctrl+Space, I get it autocompelted to .end, so it knows about end function, and it should be able to offer me to go to it without finishing all args.
feline Posted - Mar 17 2018 : 10:00:33 AM
The registry key setting may help you regardless, if you ever go back to having VA help with #include suggestions, since at the bottom of the description it says:

quote:
It also applies to include suggestions - if you type "string" and there is an exact match without an extension, the listbox will close at that point.

When this problem with "i" becoming "I" starts again, can you please try and take note of what exactly happens? Are you seeing a listbox?

The fact it does not happen after a symbol database rebuild is interesting. If the file "hbotshapecomplexusetable.cc" is part of the solution you are normally working on then VA should always be aware of these definitions. If so, this suggests the problem may be coming from something else.

So next time this happens, can you please try pressing Alt-G on the "I" that "i" has been turned into, and see if there is a particular file and definition that might be related to this problem?

Without knowing what is triggering this problem, it is harder than I would like to get to the bottom of it.
pedro123a Posted - Mar 16 2018 : 5:17:02 PM
Somehow this happens from time to time, as if VA finally discovers these suggestions and starts to suggest them to me all over the place. I cannot test the registry thing now (for CloseSuggestionListOnExactMatch) as the problem again disappeared (I did clean on all VA databases recently).
feline Posted - Mar 14 2018 : 5:15:28 PM
Using Git I have grabbed a copy of the harfbuzz tree:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz/

and then used a script of mine to generate a testing VS2015 solution that contains all of the .cc, .hh, .c and .h files in this directory tree. Then I opened "hbotshapecomplexusetable.cc" and at the very bottom of this file I added the function:

void testTypingShortVar()
{
	int nTot = 0;
	int t = 0;
	for(int i = 0; i < 10; ++i)
	{
		nTot += 20;
		t += 2;
		t = t + 2;
	}
}

I had no problems at all typing or using the variables "i" "t" or "nTot". Am I testing the right thing?

If you type slowly do you still see this problem with "i" becoming "I", and if so, what are you seeing? Is a listbox appearing and being accepted? Is the text just changing on its own?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000