Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA blocks text input

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pedro123a Posted - Feb 19 2018 : 10:32:47 PM
https://image.ibb.co/nJ8BFx/image.png

See screenshot. Believe it or not, but I cannot type dots in the place where my text input is positioned on the cursor. What a huge fail, can you please go over the code and make sure you don't **** up text input this way. I've have some weird issues with VA in the past, but I wasn't sure if it was VA related. This time I'm absolutely sure: if I disable VA everything works, if I enable it, I cannot type dots.

In that file I wanted to update include path to "targa.h" by changing it to "../some/path/targa.h" and I absolutely cannot do it, no freaking way, as if my keyboard is broken. VA totally eats up the dot even if I type it withing include path or simply in the middle between includes.

When I went into some function in that file and tried to type something ("dsds") followed by a dot I got another huge VA fail: message box in the middle of text editor. SERIOUSLY!?

https://image.ibb.co/dZ66Fx/image.png

There is one thing that might be considered unusual about this file: it's a cpp file that's included from another cpp file by using relative path.

PS. and can you please fix this crappy pic upload: Ctrl+P for a screenshot taken doesn't work, and even when I paste it to some site that can accept ctrl+P I still cannot post images here by url.

VA info (I use older version, as I cannot update past 2237)

License: ... (1-user license) Support ends 2017.10.13
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2237.0 built 2017.10.03
DevEnv.exe version 14.0.25420.1 Enterprise
msenv.dll version 14.0.25431.1
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.248
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.1A\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Include;
C:\winrt; << == this looks like compere BS
C:\shared; << == this looks like compere BS
C:\um; << == this looks like compere BS
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\winrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\shared;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Source\10.0.10240.0\ucrt;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\crt\src;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\atl;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfcm;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\atlmfc\src\mfc;

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - May 01 2018 : 5:05:07 PM
For case=114528, starting in build 2270, VA offers to close and re-open the file when it encounters this problem.
feline Posted - Feb 20 2018 : 08:14:08 AM
This seems to be the same problem that I have been looking at here - https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14140

The key step is opening a file that is not part of the solution, via the IDE Output window, where the path contains a mixture of forward and back slashes. We are looking into this problem, but don't yet have a complete solution:

case=114528

There is one work around though, if you are able to add a dummy project to your solution, which is then excluded from the build process, and add any "not part of the solution" code files that might be referenced, then VA won't have any problems when opening the files via the Output window.

Apologies for this, having the file open but not being able to edit it is clearly a serious problem. For what it's worth, I have reproduced this here, and confirmed the work around with adding the files to the solution does work.
ChrisG Posted - Feb 20 2018 : 12:09:45 AM
> Was this bug reported to MS?
It looks like similar issues have been reported, but there have been issues with reproduction in at least this case.
https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/116491/open-containing-folder-confused-by-forward-slashes.html

I am also having trouble reproducing the issue using your steps. If I include an external file using mixed slashes and it has errors, I get all backslashes (correct) in the build output window.

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

What does the #include statement look like?

What does the Include Directory (VC++ Directories -> Include Directories) look like if using a relative path?

In case it matters, what kind of error / warning are you getting exactly during compile?

Are you clicking on the error through the Output window or the Error List window?

Are you using any other plugins besides Visual Assist?
pedro123a Posted - Feb 19 2018 : 11:03:11 PM
This file isn't even in the project, as it's included from another cpp file. When I closed it and then re-opened from where it was included I was able to edit the file.
Seems to be some VS bug, but VS doesn't have issues editing this file, VA shouldn't have such problems either (VA shouldn't really edit files).

Seems like I know how to reproduce it. If I include this file by forward slashes and if this file isn't in my project and has some errors/warnings and if I double-click warnings from build output VS opens this wil with mixed slashed: if I hover mouse over file tab in VS it shows path with mixed slashes. If I r-click this file and tell VS to "Open Containing Folder" VS fails with some error message box. In this state VA introduces all these weird editing bugs to VS. I close the file and open it manually (not through build log output), then no such issues exists: VA has no problems, VS can open containing folder and no mixed slashed if I hover mouse over file's tab in VS editor.

Was this bug reported to MS, was it confirmed, does it exist in VS 2017? Can VA workaround the issue, IMO it shouldn't introduce these obvious bugs no matter what. If it needs to "edit" the file and if the action fails then it should allow VS to do default action (e.g. to insert the typed dot as-is).
ChrisG Posted - Feb 19 2018 : 10:49:43 PM
Hello Pedro,

I'm sorry you are having this issue. This can sometimes happen if a file is opened with a forward slash in the path due to a bug in Visual Studio.

To test if the path is the issue, right-click on a problematic file's tab in Visual Studio and select Copy Full Path. Then, past the path you get here.

Please try closing the problematic file, and re-opining it through the Visual Studio Solution Explorer window.

Can you type dots after re-opening the file?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000