Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 Visual Assist 2074 brought system to a crawl

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jlafleur Posted - Sep 01 2015 : 12:51:14 PM
I installed 2074 and after opening Visual Studio 2013 on my Windows 10 machine my system became almost entirely unresponsive. This happened to 2 more of our programmers who also tried the upgrade. I was eventually able to reboot, but that did not solve the problem. I tried reinstalling 2062 but that didn't help; Visual Studio was still unresponsive until I uninstalled the VA plugin.

At the moment I have to run with VA disabled. Is there a way to do a clean install or a complete uninstall of VA? I would like to rollback to 2062 but some bad state still seems to remain.

Thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Sep 21 2015 : 1:24:02 PM
Thanks -- glad to hear that performance has improved for your situation.
tfooy Posted - Sep 21 2015 : 04:18:33 AM
Hi Sean,
I have just returned from holidays and have seen that build 2076 has also been released already, so I have installed that one.

During the first startup of VS after the installation, VA has again taken more than 2 hours of CPU time. I assume it has reparsed my entire checkout.
Then I have shut down VS and started it again. Now the CPU time of the devenv.exe process was just 1m50s. So it now looks like the result of the full parse after the first startup was really cached and reused.

My problem seems to have been remedied. I hope the OP is also helped by the new builds?
sean Posted - Sep 11 2015 : 12:29:33 AM
If you're interested in trying a test build, 2075 has some updates that improves performance in my tests:
http://www.wholetomato.com/binaries/VA_X_Setup2075.exe

Note that this build is for testing purposes -- it has not gone through our QA process.
sean Posted - Sep 04 2015 : 1:07:14 PM
@tfooy Would you mind capturing a VA log and submitting it via the contact page http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp? Please enable logging before you load your solution if possible. Logging details here: http://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W305
tfooy Posted - Sep 04 2015 : 03:17:19 AM
After installing version 2074, every time I start VisualStudio it looks as if VA is reparsing my entire (huge) solution. Anyway it takes more than 2 CPU hours, which luckily are spread over a lot of cores so that the wall clock time is less.
I have seen the line "Improvements made to parsing of templates" in the What's New section. Our code base contains a large amount of non-trivial template code. Could the improved parsing of templates be the cause of the highly increased startup time and large memory usage? Does the result of this parsing not get persisted in the disk cache?

Maybe the OP is suffering from the same dramatic startup performance, whose symptom could be a system that becomes almost unresponsive for a prolonged period of time.
jlafleur Posted - Sep 01 2015 : 7:20:03 PM
The only reason is I believe that was what I was on before the upgrade to 2074 (at least that was the install I had). I could try 2068, but I'll probably wait a few days for the wounds from the past upgrade to heal... :)
sean Posted - Sep 01 2015 : 7:00:28 PM
We do test in Win10 but haven't seen anything like this. I notice that you went from 2074 to 2062. Is there a reason you didn't try 2068?
jlafleur Posted - Sep 01 2015 : 3:34:04 PM
Thanks Sean. The 2062 reinstallation was successful and I was able to verify that it was installed in Visual Studio, but over time after opening VS 2013 those of us who installed 2074 would experience increasing sluggishness from our systems. After about 15 minutes it is unusable (mouse and keyboard update maybe one every few seconds and windows start flickering) and needs to be rebooted. Uninstalling VA in the "Extensions and Updates" menu in VS returned the system to normal performance. I tried this a couple of times, but 2062 still had the same problem.

After deleting all of the user local directory contents for VA that you referenced in your post and reinstalling 2062, it appears that system responsiveness is back to normal. I'm not sure what 2074 is tickling on our systems, but it is quite determined to bring it to its knees. At this point we'll stick with 2062

Thanks for the help!
sean Posted - Sep 01 2015 : 2:22:56 PM
Sorry to hear of the trouble. If the 2062 installation was successful, the 2074 version should have been completely removed. In VS2010+, VA is installed via a simple file copy to a user local directory (http://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W105).

If you can, please try grabbing a minidump and send it in as that will help us diagnose what is happening:
http://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W303

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000