|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - Aug 09 2013 : 5:24:39 PM
The reason I am evaluating VisualAssistX is because I got spoiled by Java/JDT/JUnit and C#/Resharper/NUnit.
But now I'm in a group of ~10 programmers maintaining a lot of C++ (not the new .Net version). I want to arm them to the teeth and get going on refactoring and unit testing.
What additional features we most want in VisualAssistX are:
1. Extract Interface. To test classes that reference big, slow concrete classes, we need to extract the interface from these classes and build fake objects that allows us to instantiate the class under test in a test harness. Sure, we could edit this by hand, but how hard would it be for VisualAssistX to this?
2. Create class. During TDD, in our test code we will often attempt to instantiate a class that does not yet exist. Today, VisualAssistX see this as a problem, but only seems to offer to create a method. How hard would it be for you to offer to create a new class? Maybe VisualAssistX seeing "new" in the statement might make this the number one suggestion? We would not mind it still offered to create a method.
3. Extract constant. This might be an easy one for you guys. We all may write some magic number in our code to get something working quickly, but we'll likely want to replace it with a meaningfully named constant. Other tools do this well. Some even enforce rules for the naming style of comments (like many, we use all uppercase with underscore word separators).
The above three features would make me happily pay more than you currently charge. Without them, we're still looking/waiting for the right tool.
|3 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - Nov 07 2014 : 10:08:32 AM
case=1492 is implemented in build 2052
||Posted - Sep 25 2013 : 4:29:39 PM
case=27628 is implemented in build 2001.
||Posted - Aug 11 2013 : 10:05:58 AM
1. This is something that is on our list of things to do:
2. This is also something we would like to implement:
For now, you can use 2 VA features to speed up class creation:
- Create file refactoring command
- Using VA Snippets: type "class" (without quotes) and press enter. VA asks for the class name and creates a new class. You can customize the snippet easily: just click on the "Edit" link in the tooltip after you had typed "class" and the suggestion had appeared with the tooltip.
3. We are considering doing this at some point: