Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA Outline: Request

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rhummer Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 11:27:06 AM
Since we can multi-select in VA Outline using Ctrl-Click and Shift-Click. Could we get some more refactoring items added to the context menu, and have VA X Walk the selection and perform the selected refactoring method on each item?

I would like to see Document method added to the context menu in the outline, for starters.

So heres an example with multi select, and having VA X run Create Implementation and Document method on all items I select in VA Outline.

I create a new class in a header and declare a bunch of methods. I already have the cpp file created and added to my project. I select all my methods in VA Outline, right click and choose 'Create Implementation. VA X walks what is selected and for each item runs 'Create Implementation.' After that is complete I move over to the CPP file, selecting the same methods, and then click 'Document Method.' Again, VA X walks the selection and runs 'Document Method' on each item I have selected. Saving me the time of having to click on each method in the source window and bring up the refactor menu to do a 'Create Implementation' and a 'Document Method.'

I could also see this being useful for 'Move Implementation to Source', and possibly 'Change Signature.'

I know I put in a refactor request long ago to allow certain refactor methods to run multiple times, if you have alot of methods in your selection. I think this would satisfy that request.

Thoughts, and any edge cases I'm not thinking about feline? :)
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
support Posted - Oct 29 2012 : 10:55:35 AM
Move Implementation to Source for an entire class is case=68102 and is implemented in build 1918. Invoke the operation on the class declaration itself -- no need to highlight all method declarations.
feline Posted - Jul 19 2007 : 12:12:16 PM
I like this idea, it makes a lot of sense, and it is a logic extension of allowing refactoring to work on more than one item. I have put in a feature request for this, covering the refactoring operations:

Create Declaration
Create Implementation
Document Method
Encapsulate Field
Move Implementation to Source File

Change Signature is out, for the simple reason that it is interactive. It does not make sense to select 15 class member functions and trigger Change Signature once for all of them, since as you work through the 15 dialogs, and Find References is triggered 15 times, you will quickly loose track of where you are and what you are doing.

case=7787

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000