Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VS2019 + VA - venting

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uniwares Posted - Sep 03 2020 : 12:38:04 PM
Not really reporting any VA bug here, but lately I am having a lot of troubles with "writing code" in VS2019 16.7.x, although most of the problems seem to stem right from the VS and not VA, althoug it affects VA occasionally (see completion list problems, etc)

I have the impression that it gets harder by the day to maintain the integration that VA right now has with VS. Too many extensions, well, half the IDE is an extension now, that require access to the same editor, the same type information, the same UI elements.

Just today I had a "lockup" in VS and when it returned to responsive state about 15 seconds later, the .cs file I was working on looked like someone literally shot it with a pumpgun. Half the letters where replaced with spaces, lines missing, code fragments relocated. And of course it was the only file I didnt check in yesterday. Lucky my, i restored yesterdays version with ILSpy from the compiled DLL.

Intellisense seems to have gotten a mind of its own and does interfere a lot with writing code, VA enabled or disabled. Debugging is a pain often, the whole IDE gets unstable. etc.

Missing the times when QuarkXpress and VisualStudio where the only apps that never crashed.

Anyway, keep up the good work on VA.
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ChrisG Posted - Sep 03 2020 : 12:57:13 PM
Thanks Uniwares, we will.

We certainly know how you feel. We spend a lot more time than we should reporting and getting issues fixed in Visual Studio itself.

Thank you so much for helping us track down problems in both Visual Assist and Visual Studio over the years. We should put you in the credits one day.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000