Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA opens files in external editors twice

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uflex Posted - Feb 15 2016 : 05:37:13 AM
Hi, I am using Qt in my project and some files are easier to edit with an external editor:
Resources (.qrc), UI forms (.ui).

Trying to open those with "Open File in Solution" launches two instances of the external app, each with the file opened.

Steps to repro:
Right click a file > Open With
Select Notepad for example (any external editor should do) and set it as default.
Search for that file in the "Open File in Solution" dialog
When pressing return or OK, two instances of Notepad are launched.

Context
I am running VS2013 on Win 8.1 with VA build 2068.

Hopefully this won't be too hard to fix
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sean Posted - Mar 16 2016 : 12:10:27 AM
case=95062 is fixed in build 2093
feline Posted - Feb 15 2016 : 2:09:13 PM
Thank you for the clear description, I am seeing the same problem here:

case=95062

Depending on how much of a problem this is, how large and slow the external editor is to load, it might be worth using Ctrl-C in the Open File dialog, to copy the full path to the file, and then do an open in the external editor, and paste in the full path.

Or use Ctrl-E to open the containing folder, if you are working on a group of files in the same folder. Both commands are in the context menu in the Open File dialog.

Another thought is to use Ctrl-; in the editor to place focus into the IDE's Solution Explorer search field, and search for and load the file from here.

None of these are entirely ideal, but perhaps one of these thoughts will help for now.

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000