Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Add include of underlying type

You must be registered to post a reply.
Click here to register.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format: BoldItalicizeUnderlineStrikethrough Align leftCenterAlign right Insert horizontal ruleUpload and insert imageInsert hyperlinkInsert email addressInsert codeInsert quoted textInsert listInsert Emoji

Forum code is on.
Html is off.

Check to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sitnduck Posted - Oct 27 2023 : 07:32:56 AM
I have to say I love "add include", I use it all the time. It's probably one of my most often-used shortcuts.

However, something that happens almost nearly equally, is that I am using a pointer object whose type is not defined, e.g.:

pObject->pMyTool->Use();

Often times, pMyTool by itself would be fine, having its type forward-declared in the .h (e.g. class Tool;).

HOWEVER the issue is that the "Tool" class itself needs to be included now that I am using "Use()".

So what I end up doing, and I do this quite often, is to write a throwaway line of code, such as "Tool dummy;", then use visual assist "Add include" on the "Tool" word, so the #include statement is generated at the top of the file, then I erase the throwaway line.

It would be really nice to have a shortcut to "Add include of underlying type", so that it would be able to use its Parsed knowledge of the underlying type of the variable and do that inclusion.

I hope that made sense!:)

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
feline Posted - Oct 31 2023 : 08:53:13 AM
I think this makes sense, so I have created a new, default C++ console, just to get a clear test case for this. I have set up the following three header files:

holdingObject.h has the "object" class you are talking about:

class TriangleObject;
class SquareObject;

class HoldingObject
{
public:
	TriangleObject *pTriangle;
	SquareObject *pSquare;
};

which forward declares the used pointer types. Then I have the two stored types:

squareObject.h

class SquareObject
{
public:
	int GetSquareColour() { return 1; }
};

triangleObject.h

class TriangleObject
{
public:
	int GetTriangleColour() { return 1; }
};

then I have the main file where I use this deeply complex code

#include "holdingObject.h"

int main()
{
    HoldingObject *pObject = new HoldingObject();
    pObject->pSquare->GetSquareColour(); // line that breaks compiling

std::cout << "Hello World!\n";
}

as it stands, this code does NOT compile, since I have only included the holding object header file. If I comment out the problem line the code compiles quite happily. If I place the keyboard caret into "pSquare" on this line, Add Include is NOT offered, since the required header file is already included. If I place the caret into "GetSquareColour" then Add Include IS offered, and is offering to add:

#include "squareObject.h"

which seems to be what you are asking for.

I have tested this using VS2022 and VA 2502.0. Have I understood what you are describing correctly? Or have I not followed properly?

It could be my test case is to simple, but if so, what strangeness are you performing?

© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000