Feature Requests
 VAX suggestion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chris2004

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  06:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried VAX and I am very impressed. However, there is something that I feel is missing and would greatly enhance productivity. I am talking about a window showing all the major symbols in the file we work on, in the order they occur. For example in a .cpp file it could show the includes, the global variables and the functions. For the classes present in the file, it could show the class name and underneath the existing method implementations. Similarly for the .h file. The main usage is ease of navigation and quickly finding the part of the file we want to move to.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you aware of the list of functions in the file:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/methods.asp

and the HCB http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/hcb.asp

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

chris2004

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

are you aware of the list of functions in the file:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/methods.asp

and the HCB http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/hcb.asp

Of course. In regards to the first link, you have to agree that navigating a drop down list is not very easy especially if there are a few hundred functions. It is not the same as window showing for example:

#include "aaa.h"
#include "bbb.h"
void functionA()
int functionB()
class A
A::MemberA()
A::variableA
int functionC()

where I can click on any of the above and it will take me straight to it.

In regards to the second link, the HCB is very useful indeed, but its functionality is different to what I am asking. It is a context window and not a navigation window. It will not show all the functions in the specific file I am editing and what I need is a quick way to move from top to bottom without problems.

Let me put it in a different way. Using the example above I am editing functionA and I want to quickly jump to functionC. For the sake of the argument imagine that this file is several thousands lines big and it contains many more functions than stated above. My only options now is to either search for the function (if I know its name), or use the class window (which can be painful for big complicated files). Using a navigation pane makes things simple. All I have to do is scroll down the list and click on a name.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have edited files over 50,000 lines long, and do basically ALL of my navigation with a combination of alt-up arrow, alt-down arrow and alt-m and then type.

the up and down key presses are using next and previous scope, which jump one function at a time once you are at global scope. http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/move.asp

In this example I would type alt-m followed by functionc and then Enter. Being able to filter the alt-m (context) list is one of its key features.

For the HCB, assuming you are using C++ and these are class member functions hover over one of the functions, which will show you the class member functions. You can now pin the HCB to stop it changing view, and then scroll it to view the list of functions.

Are you familiar with these features? They seem to offer the abilities you are asking for.

Go to Top of Page

chris2004

3 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I switched from using Source Insight to VAX and the first few days were quite confusing. Still getting used to the new way of working and I guess the drop down list is as good as the navigation window I was talking about.

Thanks for your response, feline.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That said, I would like to see #includes included in the list too... others have requested #pragma and C# users want #region (case=808)
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  1:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I would like to see the Member List cleaned up. Its immensly redundant to see every line with "NamespaceWhoCares.AndNotherNameSpace.MaybeAClassName.SubClassNameAlso.FunctionName();"
Please, get rid of the namespace/classnames in every line, keep only the first and indent the following ones properly, leaving the space empty (or just paint the text in the background color).
That would greatly improve readability. There was a long discussion about this already, i guess a year or two ago, but without any final conclusions. I even made a sample image back then showing how it would look like.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18751 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  2:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uniwares I remember this discussion There is a feature request for this, complete with your screen shot attached

case=1232

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  8:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, that makes me happy. I'll be waiting for it.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  4:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=1232 is implemented in build 1840

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely DO NEED to see 1840.
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2320 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:30:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hum, do I have to enable that (case=1232) somewhere or should that work by default? Besides the new nifty (and totally unfashionable) bluish background fade I dont see a difference in the display of the member list. (and I had to restart VS2010 twice to actually get build 1840 to run at all)
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  8:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right-click on the list for display options, but it should be enabled by default.

As far as the bluish color, that is just the standard VS theme. Use the Visual Studio Color Theme Editor to suit your taste:
http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/20cd93a2-c435-4d00-a797-499f16402378

Edited by - sean on Jan 26 2011 8:37:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000