Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Woody

Czech Republic
30 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2021 :  1:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can confirm I had no freeze since I've started using 16.11 previews (now official 16.11.1)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2021 :  07:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for confirming this. Microsoft fixed a bug in VS2019 version 16.11 that was causing a lot of these performance problems, but not quite all of them.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

ETA76

Netherlands
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2023 :  04:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did all freezes get resolved by disabling intellisense?
I have the same problem, with large solution of about 200 projects.

Other colleagues with same PC and same solution don't have the problem, so it could be installation dependent.

I am running 16.11.30

Created the VATest profile, but I did not manage to install VisualAssist, since the "Manage extensions" just downloads an installer. Which does not seems to install the extension for the new profile when run.

Removing this file, and some other folders with cached data seems to solve it:
https://forums.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=16598#67435

Edited by - ETA76 on Sep 18 2023 05:14:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2023 :  05:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try disabling IDE intellisense and see if this has any effect?

I am not aware of any current reports of freezes like this. If disabling IDE intellisense works I would suggest turning IDE intellisense back on again if you miss it, and triggering an IDE intellisense database rebuild, to see if this helps:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Recreate Database = True

When you get these freezes are you seeing a spike in CPU usage?

Go to Top of Page

bins
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2023 :  06:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since installing the latest VA into vs2022 I'm also seeing these freezes at then end of a build, with the same 2 processes in the wait chain for devenv.exe

I also have intellisense turned off ( I think )

My info is below

Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2022
Version 17.7.4
VisualStudio.17.Release/17.7.4+34031.279
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.09037

Installed Version: Community

Visual C++ 2022 00482-90000-00000-AA771
Microsoft Visual C++ 2022

Visual Assist 10.9.2502.0

Rob
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2023 :  08:01:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First can you please check the option:

IDE tools menu -> Options -> Text Editor -> C/C++ -> Advanced -> Disable Database = True

which is the normal way to disable IDE intellisense.

Can you please try uninstalling VA, via the dialog:

IDE Extensions menu -> Manage Extensions

which will require an IDE restart to take effect. You can then download and install a slightly older version of VA from this page:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W404

to see if this helps. VA build 2023.4, which is "VA_X_Setup2500_0.exe" is the previous version. Please don't go any earlier though, since the earlier versions won't work correctly with VS2022 version 17.7.0 and above, which is what you are running.

Go to Top of Page

bins
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2023 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so far disabling the IDE as per the instructions seems to be sufficient

Thanks
Rob
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2023 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update, I am glad that has helped. Still, you should not need to do this, I thought this problem had been fixed a while ago.

If you are interested, we could try making a test profile to see if the problem is somehow IDE profile specific. If you want to try this can you first download the VS2022 specific installer for Visual Assist from:

https://downloadfiles.idera.com/WholeTomato/VA_X_Setup2502_0_x64.vsix

Next you will need extra details about the IDE install to create a test profile. To get these details, please open a Windows command prompt window, and inside the window run the command:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio\Installer\vswhere.exe"

There will be a set of lines for each different version of Visual Studio that you have installed. For the version you want to install into, you want the "productPath", "dispalyName" and "installationVersion" lines, e.g.

productPath: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
displayName: Visual Studio Community 2022
installationVersion: 17.4.33213.308

You can then use the information from these three lines to make sure that the following command has the correct command line parameters. The values are:

/appidname: = displayName:
/appidinstallpath: = productPath:
/skuVersion: = installationVersion:

The "/skuName:" value is one of "Community / Pro / Enterprise", note for the Professional version it is "Pro", not the expected "Professional".

The working command, for VS2022, using the values above, is - split into lines to make it easier to read and edit:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\VSIXInstaller.exe"
/appidinstallpath:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe"
/skuName:Community
/appidname:"Visual Studio Community 2022"
/skuVersion:17.4.33213.308
/rootSuffix:"VATest" "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads\VA_X_Setup2502_0_x64.vsix"

The "rootSuffix" is the name of the test profile you want to install to, and this will be created if it does not already exist. The final parameter is the path of the VSIX installer for Visual Assist that you want to install. Once you have the command set up, the only parts you should need to edit are the skuVersion and the path to the VSIX file, can you please close all instances of Visual Studio and run this command.

Running this command installs VA into the test profile, but it does not load the test profile. If you created the test profile by installing VA, when you run the test profile it will be using the default IDE settings, without asking you which settings you want to use.

To now load the test profile you use the command:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

To load your normal, default profile just load the IDE normally. To return to this test profile again, pass the /RootSuffix command line switch when loading the IDE. You can run both profiles at the same time, next to each other. In VS2019 and VS2022 the profile name will be shown just under the close button, in the top right hand corner of the main IDE window. If you export your IDE settings from your main profile you can them import them into the test profile.

Go to Top of Page

bins
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2023 :  5:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Thank you for the update, I am glad that has helped. Still, you should not need to do this, I thought this problem had been fixed a while ago.

If you are interested, we could try making a test profile to see if the problem is somehow IDE profile specific. If you want to try this can you first download the VS2022 specific installer for Visual Assist from ...

Sorry only just seen this - I'll give this a go when I get a spare moment.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2023 :  10:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, sometimes it takes time to look at these things.

The problem *should* have been fixed a while ago with a Visual Studio update, which suggests that you are seeing a different trigger. If so, then a test profile may fix the problem, but its one of those things that will have to be tested, and only time will tell.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000