New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KRG

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2022 :  1:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm experiencing severe slowdown since upgrading to VS 17.4. Whenever I paste using the clipboard history (ctrl+shift+v), VAX basically stalls out VS for a few seconds. This is pretty frustrating and affecting my work as I rely on the clipboard history a lot.

I've sent you an email with a VS profile capture of the issue and I confirmed it's VAX using superluminal. Basically each time I pasted using the clipboard history the VAX: IDE Main Thread goes crazy.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2022 :  12:23:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the logs, I see the email:

case=148869

I am not seeing any performance problems after using the VA clipboard history here, not that that statement helps much. Can you please try using Windows Key + V for the Windows clipboard history feature, and see if you get the same problem?

I am wondering if the problem is tied to the clipboard history menu, or if it is a function of doing a paste, and any possible parsing and formatting that happens after the paste.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2022 :  3:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I mentioned in the email, the issue seems to be related to the "format after paste" VAX option. If I disable that then I dont have the slowdown. The windows clipboard pasting works fine, the issue is with whatever is happening after triggering the paste via the VAX clipboard history.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2022 :  12:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, I have asked our developers what they make of the performance logs:

case=148876

knowing that paste is a factor definitely helps.

Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2023 :  10:09:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any update on this? It's been 4 months?!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2023 :  06:47:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for this, no progress yet, but I have increased the priority on this, hopefully that will help a bit.

Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  11:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been another 2 months and still no progress. I'm sure you're well aware a large portion of your customers are in the game development space, and high refresh rate monitors are not exactly uncommon. This is starting to be problematic; it feels like the number of performance issues due to VAX has been increasing in recent times and the lack of response is worrying.

I've been using VAX for over a decade at this point but the last 12 months (this is not the first issue I've filed wrt high refresh rate) have made me seriously question whether it's worth dealing with all the freezes, lock-ups and typing latency issues it's introducing.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2023 :  1:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am chasing this for you again.

A possibly random question, are you using Windows Defender as your anti-virus? We have just had a report in a different thread that Windows Defender was causing performance problems for them, problems that again I was never able to reproduce here. So it's just possible that could be a factor for you as well.

Go to Top of Page

KRG

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2023 :  10:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using windows defender but I am doubtful that windows defender is causing this issue as it is entirely related to the "format after paste" and I would be surprised if that is doing any sorts of IO that visual studio isnt already doing (and VS + the solution folder are already added as exclusions to defender).

I did another profile capture, pasting is causing a ton of processing to occur on the VAX main thread even for regular paste. How are you managing to occupy a full core on a 7950x for a text paste?

At this point, it's starting to look like we need to move away from VAX as it is becoming obvious that there's been numerous crippling performance issues over the last 2 years and little desire to fix any of this on your side.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000