1724: split screen caret position
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

somnus

8 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  3:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In VS 2005, working with C code.

After starting up a new session and positioning 2 windows of the same file side by side (it is a large file), I noticed that I was not able to type the character '(' into the :2 version of the file. Every other character seemed to work, including ')', but repeatedly after typing '(' I got nothing.

Eventually I realized that it was, in fact, typing '(', but it was adding it at the caret position of the :1 window instead.

I'm not sure what circumstances are causing this bug to manifest, but it is rather inconvenient as I depend on the split window functionality and it is not always obvious when a character has failed to be entered (I type very quickly and usually have no need to verify every character).

Edited by - somnus on Jun 06 2009 3:39:59 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  02:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please check if "Show Miscellaneous files in solution explorer" is enabled in

Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Documents

If it is enabled, can you please try to uncheck this option to see if this helps?

What version of Visual Assist do you use?

Edited by - accord on Jun 10 2009 02:48:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

somnus

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  2:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build 1724. Although I've upgraded to 1727 just now.

The show misc files checkbox is unchecked.

Also, this does not always happen. Most of the time it does not happen. I'm not sure what factors contribute to it and cannot reproduce the issue reliably. However, generally once it starts happening, it is difficult it continues to happen consistently until an unknown set of factors stops it.

Edited by - somnus on Jul 04 2009 5:13:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Approximately how long does it take for this to happen? 2 minutes? 2 hours? 3 weeks?

I am wondering how easily this can be reproduced.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

somnus

8 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  3:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It varies. It doesn't happen every day, but I'm used to just closing and reopening windows in order to avoid the issue. Sometimes changing the caret positions around on both windows also helps.

Recently, I encountered a case where after experiencing this issue and closing only one of the windows (such that there was only one window left), the problem still persisted.

Also, although probably irrelevant, this problem occurs under both XP and Vista.

Also, only some characters seem to trigger this problem - I remember '.' and '(' specifically, but there may have been others.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:22:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next time this happens can you try only closing file number 2, or file number 1, and see what effect this has?

It makes sense that it effects '.' and '(', can you also try '{' and single and double quotes as well. If you have insert closing bracket and quotes turned on then these are characters that VA is going to be very interested in. Dot makes sense if you have convert dot to -> turned on.

Do you do most of your work in a single file, or in one of these files with two open views?

Go to Top of Page

rb_

13 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2018 :  10:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is still a problem as of 10.9.2112.0 (2016.09.16) with VS 2015.

Though I hadn't seen it in quite a while until now.

I work with two open views into the same file somewhat frequently. I'd guess about 10% of the time.

Edited by - rb_ on Apr 19 2018 10:34:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2018 :  07:30:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this now happening reliably? Or is this still happening at random?

Are you aware of any changes that happened recently, that might be related to why this has now started happening for you again?

Go to Top of Page

rb_

13 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  7:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happened again.

This time I noticed that in the other window, the caret position was in a location that had been modified earlier in the primary window. However, I tried to retrace my steps and was still unable to reproduce it.
Go to Top of Page

rb_

13 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  8:14:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and again. Same situation, where other caret position was in some code where line deletions occurred in the other window. Again could not reproduce.

I do suspect it has something to do with a caret position in another view getting "lost" due to changes around the caret position.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2018 :  3:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your licence covers it, can you please try upgrading to VA 2270, our current release. Running the current release tends to make it easier to debug problems.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/default.asp

When you experience this, are the two windows showing similar parts of the file? Given your comment about where line deletions occurred in the other window, I am wondering if editing say the first 10 lines of the file in the left window, with the caret in the first 10 lines in the right window could be part of the trigger condition.

Do you jump between the two windows often while editing? I am wondering if somehow VA could think you are still working in one window, when in fact you have just changed to the other window.

Trying to think through things that might help to explain what is going on here, especially since it is happening across two different versions of the IDE.

Edited by - feline on Jun 07 2018 3:16:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

somnus

8 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I have a better idea of what's happening here now:

On VS 2017, I noticed that sometimes (I'm not sure what triggers it), the popup autocomplete listboxes seem to appear somewhere else for one frame before relocating to where they are supposed to be.

I think if you time input in such a way that it is received while the listbox is in the wrong place (i.e. over another window into the same file), VS processes this input in the wrong window and VAX then uses that caret position instead.

I can't repro it now and was busy at the time I noticed this earlier. Maybe next time I can try to repro it more specifically, but it might have to do with how sluggish VS is at any given time as well.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  06:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sort of makes sense. I don't think I have ever seen the listbox appear in the wrong location like this, but it does make sense that if it first has one location, and then nearly instantly jumps to the correct location, that if you catch it at the wrong location, this location is also used to insert the text.

Never having seen this myself, I am guessing here, but I wonder if this could happen when the IDE and VA both look to show a listbox, but one of them has the wrong location. So the first listbox comes from one, to be replaced by a new listbox from the other, in the correct location. If this was happening then the listbox might also change in shape, the number and length of the items being suggested, when it moves. So perhaps something to keep an eye out for if you can.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000