Technical Support
 Slow update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sergey.filippov

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  03:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update of VA takes too long - about 25 minutes.

During the process, I can see that the devenv.exe process reads every file in the AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\16.0_9d332929\Extensions\a0zzkl0w.fpe\Data
folder that was about 4 GB in size. After the update that folder was gone. New Data folder for the extension were about 50 MB in size.

That is great that the space was reclaimed but it seems the result would be the same as if I completely removed the previous folder. Why it is necessary to process old data folder?

P.S. During the process all files were kept opened. The devenv.exe process had about 100K opened handles. Looks like a bug.

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  08:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you try to update using
- extension manager from inside Visual Studio
- or the downloaded .vcix installer, from Visual Studio gallery
- or the exe installer from our website?

When you install through the exe installer, you should exit all instances of Visual Studio, so there shouldn't be any devenv.exe process running.
Go to Top of Page

sergey.filippov

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  10:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used exe installer.
I did close all instances of Visual Studio.
I have Windows Event Logs with all process start/termination activity. It confirms that Visual Studio was closed before VA_X_Setup2366_0.exe was started.
According to it, VA_X_Setup2366_0.exe started VSIXInstaller.exe, that started devenv.exe. (Devenv.exe was started with the following command-line parameter: /updateConfiguration.) That devenv.exe was running for approx 25 minutes.
Apparently, that was the instance that wasted time by processing AppData folder.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  2:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, makes sense. Not sure if we can change how it works since the installation is done by Visual Studio itself, but I'll ask someone to take a look at this thread, who may know more about this.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  2:56:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VSIXInstaller is a Microsoft installer that processes the VSIX file that extensions are packaged in. These are nothing more than renamed zip files.

I have never noticed the VSIXInstaller launching the IDE, but to be fair I have never seen a VA update take so long to install on any of my machines.

Does everything seem to be working correctly and normally now?

What anti-virus do you use? I am just wondering about a possible interaction between anti-virus and the update and the scanning of all the data files.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2020 :  3:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installing a different version of VA causes VS to create a new directory and delete the old directory -- that's just the way VS handles extensions.

By default, VA creates its symbol database in the extension directory so that if a user uninstalls VA, the data is automatically deleted (uninstalling a VS extension does not allow for any extension code to run -- VS handles disk cleanup).

You can tell VA to use a different directory for the symbol database:
https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W332

Then VS won't iterate over the VA symbol database files.
When you install an update of VA, it will purge and rebuild the database files.
Go to Top of Page

sergey.filippov

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2020 :  06:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@accord
Thank you for forwarding the problem.

@feline
After the update everything is working correctly. I'm using F-Secure antivirus.

@sean
Thank you for the hint with alternate directory.

Okay, then deleting the extension directory before updating would solve my problem. That is enough to know for me for now.
Next time I'm going to update VA, I will experiment with antivirus and alternate directory.
Go to Top of Page

sergey.filippov

4 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  04:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for information.

I've just updated VA again. This time, I disabled F-Secure before updating.
I did not note exact time the process took, but it finished less than in 3 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  09:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the update. 3 minutes still seems a bit slow, unless your machine was busy doing something else, but it is clearly a massive improvement over 25 minutes.

I hope after the update everything is working well and running smoothly for you.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000