Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Technical Support
 VA for VB? Didnt know that you are working on it..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  10:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw that VA (build 2353) interferes with coloring in VB code windows too.

With VA enabled:

Without VA:

(case you dont see it, line 2 - Convert, ToInt32, Mid, also the variable "i", line 4 "Not Operando", .Close() somewhere in the middle )

Edited by - Uniwares on Dec 04 2019 10:03:03 AM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  1:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing the VA context and definition fields at the top of the editor window in your VB files? By default VA should not be active, and thus not have any effect in VB, but you can turn on support for additional languages if you want:

https://support.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W326

but VB is not actively supported, so you are just getting what works.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2019 :  2:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I dont see any other signs of VA, but I might actually try the additional support, just to see what works.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  06:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I am not sure what is going on with this code, I have set up the following simple test case here, using VS2010 and VA 2353.0, on a clean install of VA with your IDE settings from a previous thread imported. I have the following code block:

Class pretendCamera
	Public Enum OPERATIONS As Short
		Negacao
		Operando
	End Enum

Public Function Close()
		' close something here
	End Function
	Private Sub testUniwaresColours()
		Dim entrada = Convert.ToInt32(Mid("num is 3456", 6, 3))
		Dim boolTest = True
		If (Not boolTest) Then
			Dim cameraVision = New pretendCamera
			cameraVision.Close()
		End If
	End Sub
End Class

and the colouring is identical with VA enabled and VA disabled. This is what I would expect, since VA is not active in my VB file.

I am not sure why you have the "If cameraVision.Visible Then" line with a red background highlight, so perhaps this is somehow a factor? Is this because you are debugging?

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  09:06:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The red background is a breakpoint, sorry, not visible in the partial screen shot.
Actually I think it might be best to not really care much about anything related to VS2019, since thats the buggiest version of VS ever. (I remember times where VS was the most stable software I have ever worked with and nothing, absolutely nothing could crash it. Now it restarts like 3 times a (good) day)

Edited by - Uniwares on Dec 05 2019 09:06:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  10:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you working with a large solution?

Is there any form of pattern to these crashes?

Have you tried disabling VA to see if it is a factor? In theory VA should not be a problem, but I don't want to just assume this.

Another thought, given there seem to have been some settings problems in your Visual Studio 2019 history, you might want to try running a different, default and clean profile, to see if the problem is with your profile, rather than your system or code. You do this by running the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Professional\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe" /RootSuffix VATest

run the IDE without any command line switches to load it normally, and return to your default profile. Load it like this to load this second profile.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Working on solutions of various sizes, but nothing that I havent exceeded in the past without any problems. Mostly VB and C# now. Some projects upgraded from 10+ years ago, some created in VS2019. By the crashes I see, I dont think its VA related, as i have seen reports of exceptions in the VS language parser, JSon parser and some other VS components, but none had any VA related components in the stacktrace.

I can try the second profile idea, although this machine was setup "clean" from fresh bought. No tinkering, no restores, no updates. Just clean install of everything.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  10:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only mention the second profile since in one of the threads you mentioned having some problems with settings, when you had to change versions of the IDE, reinstall?

It was when we were discussing VA colours in the IDE Font and Color dialog having the wrong foreground setting, which I was not able to replicate by installing your settings here.

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2318 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2019 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No change of versions, just uninstalled Azure features, although I have a VS2017 installation too (not using it) both where clean installs.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18724 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2019 :  05:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I got the wrong impression then.

If it isn't to much trouble trying a new profile may be a helpful test. I have seen a few cases where the default profile ends up in a corrupted state, and this can cause strange problems. Given some of your settings seem to have been misbehaving I wonder if somehow something similar has happened on your system, even though there is no obvious trigger for this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000