Find Ref on common symbol names very slow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - May 18 2019 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doing a find reference on a symbol that has a common/generic name can be extremely slow. Even if that specific symbol is actually only used in a few places...

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - May 19 2019 :  7:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you see messages related to creating templates in the status bar? It is one thing that can be slow. It looks like this:
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 20 2019 :  05:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought, in the Find References Results window, do you have search all projects, the button "Display references from all projects" turned On or Off? If you are working in a large solution, with a lot of projects, then searching more code will be slower than searching less code, rather obviously.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

CliffyP
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - May 28 2019 :  2:50:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, yes.

I am aware of the project limit option. Not sure how well that works in ue4, I just let it search all to make sure I don't miss anything.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - May 29 2019 :  2:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, to try and pin this down I have loaded VS2017, using VA 2333.0, and a new, default Puzzle Unreal project. Sitting inside the puzzle game project I have triggered Find References on "Super", figuring this is a good test of a common string.

Searching the entire solution, so the puzzle plus Unreal Engine 4.22 Find References took about 8 minutes, start to finish.

Not fast, but given the amount of code to parse and understand, this does not strike me as terrible. How does this compare to what you are seeing? Is this the sort of performance you are getting? Are you seeing Find References take an hour? 20 seconds?

This search returned 572 (+29 hidden) references in 141 files. For context, Open File in Solution, when set to only show files in the current solution, is showing a total of 41,934 files. This is the second number in the title bar of the Open File dialog.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000