UnrealEngine, VA and VS2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JuanPablo

Mexico
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2019 :  12:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, recently I upgraded visual studio to 2019. After installing VA and try it with UE4 I noticed that the colors of the variables, classes and such are not showing. Also, when I try to use Find References it pops an error message saying "Find References is not available because the symbol is unrecognized".

I tried to do a test in an empty console project, even though the colors do show up the find reference tool still doesn't.

ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
299 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2019 :  4:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Juan,

That's strange.

What build of Visual Assist are you using? You can check by navigating to (VAssistX -> Help -> About Visual Assist) then check the "VA_X.dll file version".

As a first step, try rebuilding your symbol database. Use the information on the following page to help you do this, see the "Symbol Definitions" section. You will need to restart Visual Studio after this, and it may take a few minutes to rebuild the database the first time you open your UE4 project.
https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W215

Does rebuilding your symbol database help?
Go to Top of Page

JuanPablo

Mexico
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2019 :  6:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisG

Hello Juan,

That's strange.

What build of Visual Assist are you using? You can check by navigating to (VAssistX -> Help -> About Visual Assist) then check the "VA_X.dll file version".

As a first step, try rebuilding your symbol database. Use the information on the following page to help you do this, see the "Symbol Definitions" section. You will need to restart Visual Studio after this, and it may take a few minutes to rebuild the database the first time you open your UE4 project.
https://wholetomato.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W215

Does rebuilding your symbol database help?

VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2324.0 built 2019.03.08
DevEnv.exe version 16.0.28729.10 Community
msenv.dll version 16.0.28721.110
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.17763.379
Windows 10 10.0 1809 Build 17763.379
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x80a

I have already tried to do a rebuild, but the error message still shows up. Also, I tried to do a clean install of visual assist and still nothing.
Go to Top of Page

ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
299 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2019 :  8:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tested, and am having trouble reproducing your issue.

It sounds like Visual Assist is still parsing.

Do you see any messages in the bottom left status bar? The parse shouldn't take more than a few minutes, however, unless you have limited the number of parse threads.

Are you using the binary distribution of the Unreal Engine (through Epic games launcher) or are you building from source (from GitHub)?

When you rebuilt the database, did you see parsing activity in the bottom left status bar?
Go to Top of Page

ChrisG
Whole Tomato Software

USA
299 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2019 :  9:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something you might try, is to disable Visual Assist in the (Extensions -> Manage Extensions) dialog. Then, restart Visual Studio, re-enable Visual Assist and restart once more.

It could be that Visual Assist is stuck in some odd half-loaded state.
Go to Top of Page

JuanPablo

Mexico
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2019 :  11:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, for the colors you were right, I had some files parsing now everything is as it used to be. But, for the "Find references", it still pops a message saying "Find References is not available because the symbol is unrecognized".
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18721 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  06:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing this Find References problem on all symbols, or only some symbols? What about local variables? Member functions of your own classes?

I have loaded a sample Unreal project in VS2019, and Find References is running quite happily for me. I have tried this on several different symbols, including "UAbilitySystemComponent", "FGameplayAbilitySpecHandle" and "TArray".

Obviously something is going wrong here, but I am not sure what. If you look in VA's Open File in Solution dialog, is VA listing the files that make up your solution?

What do you have:

VA Options -> Unreal Engine -> Enable support for Unreal Engine 4

set to?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000