How to export and reimport VA Snippets?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hvergelmir

11 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  04:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'd like to be able to export and reimport VA Snippets. And yes, while I know where the respective files are stored, that's insufficient.

For starters I am unclear if there is a shared or only the individual sets of VA Snippets per Visual Studio version.

And then I have the issue that instead of copying files from one place over another, I'd like to pick and choose.

Some of my VA settings are virtually ancient (I've been a customer since 2006 or so?!). And what I'd like to achieve is to compare plain text versions of the VA Snippets file(s). At this point I mainly care about the C/C++ one, but if there are differences it would be nice to learn them.

Now, the file format for these files doesn't seem to be all that difficult to decipher, but the goal would be - at the very least - to read, compare, patch/merge and then write such a file again. So I wanted to ask if there was a specification and a documentation of that file format and where to find it.

Thanks and with best regards.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  08:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, are you using a newer IDE, VS2010 or above? If so, when you open the VA Snippet editor you should get the new snippet editor, as explained here:

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W476

Assuming you are using this snippet editor, if you set the scope to Private, then all of the snippets you see here are private to the current user, but are also available and used in every IDE, regardless of version, on the machine.

If you set the scope to Shared then you will see the list of shared snippets, if any. These are shared between all users and all versions of the IDE on the same machine.

If you only want to copy out some of the snippets then the easiest method is to select them in the editor, in the list of snippets column on the left hand side. You can use shift and control to select multiple snippets as normal in this list. Then press Ctrl-C. The selected snippets will be copied into your clipboard in XML format.

You can simply paste these XML blocks back into the New (VS2010 and above) snippet editor on a different machine to copy the snippets across. No need to deal with the underlying text files at all.

If working with the XML format blocks will be easier for you, you could just select and copy all of the snippets, from two different locations, and then compare and edit the two files to produce the list of snippets that you want to use.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Hvergelmir

11 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  09:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, interesting. That method with XML in the clipboard will do. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Stellar support as always!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  11:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do our best

I was a little surprised to discover you could copy and paste snippets myself, but it comes in very handy now and then.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000