Technical Support
 Installer brokeness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

memecode

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  12:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my machine blue screened last week and broke my Visual Studio install, so I reinstalled VS2015 from scratch. Then I installed Visual Assist again using the last release I can use under my license (v2237). But somehow the current installed version is v2283. I've tried to install 2237 again and again and it never works. I think it just goes "hey you have a newer version so I'll just skip doing anything".

So considering there is no uninstaller (really? it's not good enough) I'm going to have to manually find where the files live and evict them so I can have a working system again. Sigh.

Currently in "try" mode.

Fix: make the install overwrite the newer install. Yes the user ACTUALLY wants that.

memecode

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  12:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deleting the sub-folders in C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\Extensions seemed to resolve the issue.

Then reinstalling. Bloody awful UX.

Edited by - memecode on Aug 14 2018 12:37:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

memecode

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  12:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And regarding the lack of uninstaller: At one point last week I couldn't start VS2015 so the "uninstall" button in Tools -> Extensions and Updates wasn't accessible. Hence the need for a stand alone uninstall.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  06:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for these problems, and the time that this took. Unfortunately you are running into a design decision by Microsoft, not us. The "installer" for VS2015 is simply a renamed zip file. As such we don't actually get to ship either an installer or an uninstaller.

It is a bit late for you now, but the install location for VA is explained on this page, it varies with the IDE, so it's not as simple as "just look here":

https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W105

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

memecode

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  12:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
As such we don't actually get to ship either an installer or an uninstaller.

Couldn't you scan through the sub-folders of the known locations extensions could be, find the files belonging to Visual Assist and remove them? Visual Studio doesn't break when you do that (yes there is a dangling reference in the options), as I have recently discovered. Basically just wrap what I did in a script and ship that as the uninstaller?

And not being able to downgrade. Yeah that's a problem... surely you can do something better than just "fail silently"? Which appears to be the current situation.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  12:51:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you using the .vsix or the .exe to install?

.vsix doesn't support downgrade but our .exe does.
Go to Top of Page

memecode

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  8:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are you using the .vsix or the .exe to install?

VA_X_Setup2237_0.exe
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2018 :  9:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If 2237 isn't installed after running the 2237 exe installer, then one of two things is possible. The first is that you are running the installer from a different Windows user account than the one that you run Visual Studio in (in VS2010+, VA is installed per user). The more likely problem is that Visual Studio is automatically updating VA after you install an older version. Disable VS automatic update of extensions as described in this KB article https://docs.wholetomato.com/default.asp?W426 to get the 2237 install to stick.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000