Visual Studio 2017 and Unity C#
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  12:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VS2017 and Unity3D in C# with Visual Assist X. It used to work great and would index the standard classes and such. The auto complete was good before.

However for some reason it seemed to have stopped indexing or suggesting. For example a common member in all MonoDevelop scripts is transform. As I start typing "transform" it will not auto complete and will show the word as unknown UNTIL i type the very last letter "m" and then it magically finds it and auto completes on the last letter.

Any suggestions? I tried testing out ReSharper and it did better but I've been a fan of Visual Assist X for a long time with my yearly subscription.

Thanks

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  1:20:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did try to rebuild symbols and reparse current File.

.CS files are enabled for suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  1:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installing Unity now.

Once you have inserted "transform", if you place the caret into this symbol and press Alt-g what happens? What, if anything, is VA showing in its context and navigation fields? These are normally at the top of the editor window.

Do you have C# turned On in the VA options:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Show only suggestions in completion lists in C#
VA Options -> Suggestions -> Suggestion and Completion lists
Enable in C++
Enable in C#
Include VA Snippets

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  2:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you feline....

Show only suggestions in completion list (Checked)
Suggestions and Completion lists....C++ / C# / VA Snippets all checked

Alt-g on transform in the MonoBehaviour class pops up an error saying...Cannot navigate to symbol under carrot....however the helper bar above the source window (I forget what you call it) shows: UnityEngine.Component.transform in the context and UnityEnginer.Transform transform in the definition.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  2:21:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I have Unity installed, and have created a new 2D game in the game editor. I found a menu entry to open the C# solution, which I did, but the solution that has opened in VS2017 does not have any code files at all. Now what?

I know nothing about Unity, so how do I quickly and easily get a test case up and running to try and study this, and see if I can reproduce the problem here?

Go to Top of Page

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2018 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I would do is right click in the Project Tab in the Unity Editor and just say create->New Script. Then just double click on it and it will bring it up in Visual Studio. It will probably say something like....reload solution? Hit Yes.

Unity will automatically add it to the VS solution. It will also give you a simple template With Update() and Start() functions.

That should be enough.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  06:52:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a .CS file now, thank you. Based on some simple tests, no sign here of the problems you are seeing. So VA should still be working. So lets try and work out what is different between your system and this test here.

First up, can you please go to:

VA Options -> System Info -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into your reply. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Next, do you have:

VA Options -> Suggestions -> Suggestion and Completion lists
Include VA Snippets

turned On or Off? If this is turned Off please turn it On. Now inside a function, if you type "forr" you should get two suggestions from VA Snippets, for "for loop forward" and "for loop reverse" and the listbox tooltip for both of them should say these are VA Snippets.

Are you seeing the same thing? Or are VA snippets not being suggested? If VA is not able to include snippets in the listboxes normally then we have a fairly basic problem with VA being enabled in this project, which explains the other problems you are seeing.

Also, please go to an instance of the "Transform" type in your code. If you show VA View, then place keyboard focus back into the editor, and now hover the mouse over the Transform symbol is the correct information displayed? I am getting plenty of members for "UnityEngine.Transform" listed in the bottom half of VA View when I do this. I am checking to see if VA has any understanding of the Unity symbols.

Go to Top of Page

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you feline. First here is the info:

License: email... (11-user license) Support ends 2019.01.18
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2283.2 built 2018.08.02
DevEnv.exe version 15.0.27004.2009 Community
msenv.dll version 15.0.27004.2008
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.17134.165
Windows 10 10.0 Build 17134.165
8 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x409

Platform: Project defined
Stable Includes:

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:

YES: Include VA Snippets

YES: If i type "forr" I get two options: for loop forward and reverse. If I move my mouse over them I see them saying they are VA options.

If I bring up the VA View and do as you say and put focus in editor and hover over transform I think it is bringing up transform as a Component but not a UnityEngine.Transform. I'm going to make a quick youtube video to show you what I am seeing.

I will post link here shortly.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2018 :  12:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feline,

Here is the video of what I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYIuH-nn73k&feature=youtu.be
Go to Top of Page

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2018 :  12:04:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI.....i just tried updating VS 2017 to the latest release and now Magically it is all working. I'll keep any eye on it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there a big change in your version of VS2017 when you updated? It is almost as if there was a settings problem in the IDE that was fixed by the upgrade. I am just not sure what setting might have been effected here.

So I am hoping this fix is stable fix, but if you do have any more questions or problems please do just ask. At least now I have a basic unity test case up and running, which is a good start :)

Go to Top of Page

gimp3695

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  12:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if it was a big change. Probably a years worth of updates. It was still VS 2017, but I'm glad you have a test cast going forward.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  3:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The update may have been the fix them. There have been some problems with earlier versions of VS2017 that we could not work around, since they were down to bugs in the IDE its self. But that does not explain why this went from working fine to not working any more, that is a bit strange. So hopefully this will keep on working well for you.

But if you do have any more problems, please do let me know, and I will do everything I can to help.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000