Feature Requests
 Searching for words in a specific directory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shrekshen

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  12:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shift + Alt + S is useful, but when too many same word in the word in the project, it's hard to locate the key word. But in fact, I have known the key word I want to search is in a special folder, so could you add this feature?

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  05:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the special folder part of the solution? Or part of one of your stable include directories?

Is the word you are searching for part of a class, a namespace? Something else that would help to narrow down the search?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

shrekshen

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  07:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, i want to search a word in a special folder, the word could be any type.

such as, when you search "addaction", there are two many results.
quote:
Originally posted by feline

but , in fact, i just want to search "addaction" in configuresvrd folder, so could you help me?

Is the special folder part of the solution? Or part of one of your stable include directories?

Is the word you are searching for part of a class, a namespace? Something else that would help to narrow down the search?

Edited by - shrekshen on Aug 04 2018 07:36:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  10:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is that this isn't what VA's Find Symbol dialog is designed for. If you were looking for a particular instance, or inside a particular namespace, then we could use this to narrow down the search.

Have you considered doing a find in files across just this directory for this string?

Go to Top of Page

shrekshen

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2018 :  10:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the problem is here, how could i search the word in this directory in visual studio?

quote:
Originally posted by feline

The problem is that this isn't what VA's Find Symbol dialog is designed for. If you were looking for a particular instance, or inside a particular namespace, then we could use this to narrow down the search.

Have you considered doing a find in files across just this directory for this string?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2018 :  11:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can do an IDE "Find and Replace" search across the current project, so this would let you limit the search somewhat, but unless your directory tree is also a project, this may not help enough.

I don't think the IDE is designed to search just a given directory tree either. You could try opening just that directory tree as a new solution, via:

File -> Open -> Folder...

and then search this folder "solution". Personally I would use the find in files tool in my Windows File Manager, I use:

https://www.zabkat.com

and do exactly this sort of search every now and then.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000