Find symbol showing things that don't belong there
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  7:13:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm very confused what's happening here. I created a new source build of Unreal 4.20 in C:\UnrealEngine420 for testing and Find Symbol is showing things from a completely different (launcher) installation of the engine??? Why is everything doubled?

Edited by - Zeblote on Jul 18 2018 7:13:54 PM

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  7:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cleared the symbol database / cache and it's fixed now. Not sure how it managed to display the symbols from an unrelated solution in the first place...

Edited by - Zeblote on Jul 18 2018 7:29:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2018 :  8:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, spent a while longer trying to track down what is actually happening.

I have 3 solutions using various engine installs:

- Action RPG sample using 4.20 launcher version
- My project using 4.19 source build
- 4.20 source build (no project, UE4.sln)

After opening and parsing all 3 of these solutions:
- Action RPG is fine.
- My project is fine.
- 4.20 source build is messed up, also includes symbols from the engine source in Action RPG for no reason.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  09:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are you doing the opening?

Are you opening 3 separate instances of the IDE at the same time, with one solution open per IDE?
Opening one instance of the IDE, opening a solution, then closing the solution but keeping the IDE open, then opening the next solution, and so on?
Opening one instance of the IDE, opening a solution, then closing the IDE, and opening a fresh single instance of the IDE to open the next solution?

I am assuming you mean this for the RPG sample, which I have just downloaded:

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/action-rpg#

but what do you mean by a source build? Is this something you are doing via Github, and downloading the source code for the engine from here?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Zeblote
Tomato Guru

183 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2018 :  09:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one:
> Opening one instance of the IDE, opening a solution, then closing the IDE, and opening a fresh single instance of the IDE to open the next solution

A source build means cloning the engine source from https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/ somewhere and building it.
It looks like VA is loading the symbols for the launcher build of the engine into the solution for the source build, if it knows about them.

Not sure if me using the action rpg sample was relevant, it's just the only project I have at the moment using the 4.20 launcher version.

Edited by - Zeblote on Jul 19 2018 09:43:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18749 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2018 :  09:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had not expected the effect to survive you closing and reloading the IDE, but I am seeing the same problem here. It isn't related to Unreal Engine 4.20, I can reproduce it with 4.18. I have put a bug report in for this:

case=117884

For now, can you try turning On:

Find Symbol dialog -> Show only symbols defined in current solution

when working in a solution that uses a "different" version of the Engine, as opposed to the installed copy created by the Unreal Editor. For me this is filtering out all of the extra symbols.

Interestingly the effect is reversed when opening a solution created via the Unreal Editor, here if you turn On this setting, all of the Unreal Engine symbols are removed from the list.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000