Will there be linux version or standalone editor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alex24

8 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will there be a linux version or standalone editor

I've use VC6 and Visual Assist as an editor for a long time.
Yes, I just use it as an editor.

I use it with many other toolchains:
with samba and plink for linux.
with mingw for windows, (I just don't like cl.exe)
with gcc-arm-none-eabi for stm32.
with ndk for android.
and so on.
I wrote a script tool to switch among the above platforms, by modify some registry.

All works well, except some minimus issue, such as VC6 not understand utf-8 code, can not set to unix file format, Visual Assist does not understand some gcc extension syntax.

Recently, I tried to switch to linux, and Visual Assist is the only thing that I have to use on windows. I use wine for it. It can work with some versin of wine, but some version not.

I also tried some other solutions, clion and vim + YouCompleteMe, but they are not as good as Visual Assist for me. I even tried to modify notepad++ to a fake VC6 to make it work with Visual Assist, but seems too much work.

So will you guys have a plan to do some other work than just to stick to VC. Since MS has make its own VC more like a Visual Assist inside.

Clion is very similar to Visual Assist in many ways, but it's too complex.

I think a simple editor with Visual Assist is good enough for many C C++ programmer. Like earlier years people configured editplus to a simple ide to write java.

Maybe you guys can try to integrate Visual Assist with some open source editor such as notepad++ for the first step, hope its not too much work for you, then try linux, and even android.

Finally, thanks for making life a lot easier for me.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18750 Posts

Posted - May 16 2018 :  10:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no, we don't have any plans to do any of this. Just keeping up with all of the versions of Visual Studio is a full time job for us. If you still have a Windows license, have you considered running Visual Studio inside a Virtual Machine, and then pointing the virtual machine at a shared / mapped directory that lives on your Linux machine? This would let you edit your Linux code directly, via the share.

Given the line endings problem I would not recormend doing this with VC6, but you can use the community version of Visual Studio, if the license conditions are suitable for your work:

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000