Visual Studio 2017 says VAssistX causing 99s delay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

macjohnmcc

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  12:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lately I have experienced Visual Studio 2017 being unresponsive to the point where it will show the screen overlaid in white due to the message pump no longer working.

Recent updates of VS2017 have been complaining about the plugins causing the unresponsiveness and today Visual AssistX is the cause. It gave me a warning about there being a 99 second delay. The delay was just after I saved the changes to a file. Earlier there was a shorter delay at startup of around 6 seconds.

I'd hate to have to disable the plugin to avoid these problems.

I am running the latest VA and latest VS2017 on Windows 10 X64 (also the latest).

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 10 2018 :  3:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you encounter any whitescreening, I would love to see a dump if that is at all possible. The quickest way to capture a dump in those situations is via Task Manager -- right-click on devenv.exe and select create dump file. It will capture a dump to your temp directory. You can zip it up and then upload it via our contact page: https://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Unfortunately, we hook some Win32 APIs and it appears that the VS performance monitor attributes some problems to us based upon our being in the callstack whether or not we are actually the cause of the problem. To be clear, we do impact solution load but to fix issues we need to either be able to repro or see a dump.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000