I'm having a problem with VSX, this version:
VA_X.dll file version 10.9.2223.0 built 2017.06.22
DevEnv.exe version 15.6.27428.2037 Community
msenv.dll version 15.0.27428.2027
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.16299.371
Windows 10 10.0 Build 16299
12 processors (x86-64, WOW64)
Language info: 1252, 0x809

I know it's an old one, so maybe you don't support it anymore.
Anyhow, in VS2017 VSX seems to be only partially working:
- I can see all symbols and files in the "Shilf+Alt+O" and "Shift+alt+S" panels
- I can have suggestions for headers (not 100%, but let's say 70%)
- I never can have variable suggestions while typing.

I tried reinstalling the plugin, clean up its DB, clean up intellisense DB.
Do you have any other suggestion?

Cheers,
Alex

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18746 Posts

Posted - May 07 2018 :  11:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VA should be working correctly. Let's start with some simple sanity checks. Are you seeing the VA context and definition fields at the top of your code files? If you press Alt-M is the list of methods in the current file shown, and if so, is it correct?

In VA options, under Suggestions, do you have suggestions turned On or Off for your language / languages?
Under Enhanced Listboxes, what do you have for the source of C/C++ content?

If you press CTRL-SPACE after you have started a variable name in your code, what happens? This should force a listbox to appear.

Can you please turn On:

VA Options -> Floating Buttons and Icons -> Denote content from Visual Assist with tomato icons

and keep an eye out for tomato icons in listboxes when listboxes do appear when you are programming. I am looking to see if listboxes are coming from the IDE or from us.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Monops

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - May 08 2018 :  5:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

VA should be working correctly. Let's start with some simple sanity checks. Are you seeing the VA context and definition fields at the top of your code files? If you press Alt-M is the list of methods in the current file shown, and if so, is it correct?

In VA options, under Suggestions, do you have suggestions turned On or Off for your language / languages?

If you press CTRL-SPACE after you have started a variable name in your code, what happens? This should force a listbox to appear.

Can you please turn On:

VA Options -> Floating Buttons and Icons -> Denote content from Visual Assist with tomato icons

and keep an eye out for tomato icons in listboxes when listboxes do appear when you are programming. I am looking to see if listboxes are coming from the IDE or from us.

Thanks for your answer!
I had "Default Intellisense". Selecting "Visual Assist" fixed the issue :)

Cheers!
Alex
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18746 Posts

Posted - May 09 2018 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, and thank you for the update, I am glad this was so easily fixed.

Go to Top of Page

Monops

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2018 :  2:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting, and thank you for the update, I am glad this was so easily fixed.

Sadly, it started again today :(
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18746 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2018 :  06:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you describe a specific problem you are having? Is it listboxes not appearing when you expect them to?

If so, is this while typing a variable name? Or is this when typing a dot or -> after a full variable name to see the list of members? Or both?

Given that setting intellisense to VA helped before, can you please press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart your IDE. It will take a few moments, perhaps a few minutes for the rebuild to finish. Does this make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

Monops

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2018 :  5:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you describe a specific problem you are having? Is it listboxes not appearing when you expect them to?

If so, is this while typing a variable name? Or is this when typing a dot or -> after a full variable name to see the list of members? Or both?

Given that setting intellisense to VA helped before, can you please press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart your IDE. It will take a few moments, perhaps a few minutes for the rebuild to finish. Does this make any difference?

I've done it, but nothing changes: if pressing "CTRL+space" nothing happens, but doing Shift+Alt+F I get all the symbols.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18746 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2018 :  06:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which IDE and version of VA are you using?

By Shift-Alt-F you mean VA's Find References? I just want to make sure I understand clearly what you have done.

If you press Alt-G for Goto on the symbol, what happens? VA might know all of the references for the symbol, but if it does not know the type of the symbol it won't know what members to list.

If you press Alt-Shift-G for the symbol, what information does VA offer? Do you get the option "Goto Member...", and if so, if you select this, what happens? If this is an instance of a class / struct type then you should get a dialog showing you the members for this type. Does this work, and are all of the expected members listed?

Go to Top of Page

Monops

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2018 :  8:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I add that it looks like it works for some minutes, then stops.
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2018 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please try installing the latest version of Visual Assist? You are using a fairly new version of Visual Studio 2017 and an older VA build. Visual Studio is changing quite a lot in these 15.x increments and we need to keep up with them in Visual Assist.

You will be granted a 7 day trial to test the new build. After that, you can re-install the build that you have license for. Knowing if what you're experiencing is a bug that was fixed in VA or it is some form of configuration issue would help going forward with this issue.
Go to Top of Page

Monops

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2018 :  06:30:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by accord

Can you please try installing the latest version of Visual Assist? You are using a fairly new version of Visual Studio 2017 and an older VA build. Visual Studio is changing quite a lot in these 15.x increments and we need to keep up with them in Visual Assist.

You will be granted a 7 day trial to test the new build. After that, you can re-install the build that you have license for. Knowing if what you're experiencing is a bug that was fixed in VA or it is some form of configuration issue would help going forward with this issue.

I did it and it looks like you're right: my version is too old.
Time for an update then :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000